RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Currently all of our House batteries are in the shop checking…

Currently all of our House...
Currently all of our House batteries are in the shop checking whether they are good or bad (they are brand new). We are hooked up to the shoreline and the refrigerator, all lights, water pump, exhaust fan, LP gas, and generator won't start, power step do not work when plugged into the shoreline. THe air conditioner, vacuum, ice maker, all eletrical outlets work. We also have a battery switch to turn off the house batteries and it did the same thing. Our convert/inverter does work (it is a 3 stage one). Freedom 30. I thought when you are plugged into shoreline everything should work. Can you help?
8/30/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Not without some battery in there............at least most of the time. What is make of your load center? If this is a Magnetek unit it might not. Or the fuses on the converter are blown if this has been upgraded. Check those as well. Sounds like that there is a problem in that someplace. If you have a small multimeter we can test that quickly. Those can be found at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 or so and are easy to use. A digital readout version is usually best. Get back to me and we can go from there. No limit as to time or number of responses needed.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Not sure about your question regarding load center.

• We have four 6V Trojan T105 deep cycle batteries hooked in series but they are in the shop checking to see if they are good (they are brand new).

Rignt now the RV is hooked up to house electricity and NOT working is the all lights, refrig, water pump, water heater, air exhaust fan, generator, LP gas again IS NOT working. WHY?

Unfortunately, we bought this used so we do not know how the electrical is hooked up. We do have a transfer switch box that when plugged into electricity it did switch over. the breaker box are all on.

We have a Heartinterface freedom 30 converter/inverter (old one is is black) which was switching off and on when the batteries were low. Now it is on but it is hot. DOES THAT HAVE A FUSE?

Reason for taking batteries in, the generator or turning on RV would charge batteries full, but about 20 minutes or so the batteries would go to half full, Inverter would click off and refrig went to gas.

Our question is why do the main things we need on the RV not work when the house batteries are gone when connected to electrical outlet.

The RV is 50A hookup.

We do have a manual guide that says magnetek but I cannot find any box labeled magnatek

You can't run this without some batteries in there.......especially the inverter. Turn that off. You have to have at least one battery. And the Trojans are great batteries and those are hooked up in a Series/Parallel hookup. If you had them all in series that would give you 24 VDC on those circuits and cause some problems. If you can get one 12 VDC battery and hook it up for now we can do some testing and see where the problem is.

Sorry we did have it hooked up in Series/Parallel, like the diagrams we found on the internet (the trojan site). We are going to try an locate a 12V battery to borrow to do some testing. I thank you for your quick responses.

Get back to me when you locate one and we can check out a few things..........I will be off tomorrow until later in the afternoon.

We have received all of our batteries back. 4 6V batteries hooked up as Series/Parallel. Inverter is 3 stage. currently showing 12.6 Volts but no AMPs are showing on the status panel. The batteries will not stay charged and will drain within a half hour.

Just so I have this correct here..............the batteries checked out fine and are properly hooked up. If so, it would take just about a dead short to drain them that fast. Is anything else on besides the inverter? Isolate this and see if perhaps the inverter is shorting out internally...............right now that would be my guess. Be sure that you test it with a meter to be sure nothing is on that might draw them down. In re-reading your previous responses I suspect this is happening as you mention it was overheating. Those can be checked out and repaired. Let me know what you find.