RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Recently installed a new power board in my Norcold 1200LR refrigerator.

Customer Question
When I press the mode...
Recently installed a new power board in my Norcold 1200LR refrigerator. When I press the mode button the panel flashes AU / AC. The freezer freezes but the main refrigerator does not get cold. After the first 24 hours the main refrigerator cooled and then stopped cooling. The gas valve located near the power board is turned on but the gas does not light. why am I not getting cooling from the main section of the refrigerator? Why did it initially cool and then stop cooling?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
8/9/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

What is the part number of the power board you installed? Was it an OEM board or a Dinosaur Electronics board? And is the fridge level or not? Are you plugged into shore power or not? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you in sorting this out.
The fridge is level and is installed in a 5th wheel travel trailer. The board installed is an OEM board and not one of the Dinosaur boards. After much discussion with the local dealer (Poulsbo RV) it was decided that part number XXXXXXXXX was the correct power board. The serial number of the unit is(NNN) NNN-NNNN and that caused some confusion with the dealer and the Norcold representative in selecting the proper power board to use.

Having said all that I notice that this morning that the refrigerator is once again cooling where last evening the unit was producing no cold at all and the walls of the fridge were almost room temperature to the touch. When the mode button the readout always indicates that the unit is searching for AC power (AU - AC) but is also cooling. Very strange. Is this normal? Also when I wired the board I used the Norcold service manual wiring diagram, but was not sure which two wires are for the AC Hi heater and which were for the AC Lo heaters as they are both the same colors. One heater is slightly higher and slightly closer to the rear of the fridge than the other heater. Not sure if these wire placements are critical.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.............got called out on a Service Call.

Go and CLICK HERE for a copy of the Norcold Service Manual for this model. See page 40 for the proper wiring diagrams and hook ups. Did you test both heating elements to be sure they were good? And be sure that the fuse is good. When you get back to me give me the board number again and put a space in between each number as our software XXXed that out.

Check this and then we can go from there...............all follow ups are included in our fee. No limit to time or number or responses. Positive Feedback in the form of a "smiley face" would be greatly appreciated when I have fully addressed all your concerns relating to this issue.
I have previously downloaded and printed the service manual that you posted and that is what I have been using to complete the power board hook ups. Both the AC power fuse and the DC power fuse are good. The board number as printed on the box I received from Norcold, and containing the power board is: 6 2 1 2 7 1 0 0 1. The hook ups to the power board, reading from left to right, is as follows, and using the labels on the power board.

Power - AC power cord

AC HT LO - Black heater wire from the inboard heater

AC HT LO2 - Black heater wire from the outboard heater

AC HT HI - Yellow heater wire from the inboard heater

AC HT HI2 - Yellow heater wire from the outboard heater

Wire Bundle - Wire bundle from the fridge, plugged in and latched in place

FLP/DC Heat - Heavy black wire and small black wire from wire bundle

DC HT GND - Heavy white wire and small white wire from wire bundle

12 VDC - Two black and white stripped wires, one from DC power source and then to upper fridge

GV - White wire from gas valve

GND1 - Two white wires from DC power source and then to upper fridge

GV GND - White wire from gas valve

T1 - Orange wire from burner box.

Both heater elements are hot and working.
That sounds correct.........and this power board is the same number as came out?
That I do not know. Someone else had removed the board before I got hold of it and the board was missing. I ordered the new part from the make, model and serial of the fridge. I went through the local RV dealer when I ordered the power board and he called the Norcold representative to make sure the correct part was ordered. Decided to contact you when the freezer seemed to be working fine, but the fridge was not getting cold enough to keep food very cold even with the temp. control turned up to 8.,
That is usually a thermister problem or cooling fans not coming on. If this is a slide out installation then the install specs are very critical.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification