RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

have a norcold refrigerator in our rv we have had the heat…

have a norcold refrigerator in...

have a norcold refrigerator in our rv we have had the heat sensor replaced which was on recall now all of a sudden refrig control reads L1 op frig does not work we tried to plug it in on ac current but still will not work unable to get mobille tech to come and check this as we are in the country at an rv pk and we have to go to them according to norcold there is a reset button but due to liability cannot advse me frig does not work on propane either

8/8/2012
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 10 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, hi the problem you are having is with indeed the recall...................we can bypass it until you can have it cked out by a norcold service ctr..........would you like to do this?
the 12 volt power comes into circuit board but we dont get it going into the frig or propane bypass is ok
take note of two wires that come from the coach to the refer,,,,,,,,one is ground, and the other is 12v+ the recall has taken the 12v+ from its original location on the control module (plastic cover where all the wires go) and hooked it into this recall...........in the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a blue wire has replaced the original wire,,,,it comes from the back box...................what we need to do is hook it up originally...............take the cover off of the control module,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,see where the blue wire is attatched.............remove the blue wire,,,,,,,,,,,and plug in to it the original positive lead comming from the coach.................

I removed the Blue wire on the control board, I'm not

clear what my next step should be, I have the board

cover off and I'm not clear what the recall entailed.

The blue wire goes from the control box to the Box

where to TC box with the light is. If I had a schematic

I could figure it out. The original problem still exists

the fridge won't work on either Elec. or Gas. I suppose this is a 12 volt problem. I orriginally suspected the control board. as elec.and gas are

both not working. I suspect the 12 line also controls

the AC line. I have an engineering background and

I'm trying to assist in the problem .

you are correct in that the control of the refer gas/110 is controlled by a 12v signal..................they do not publish a schematic for their recall..................your right there however........now that you see the blue wire going to the control board..........................disconntect that wire,,,,,,,and exchange it with the hot lead that goes from the coach to the refer...........originally

I Have removed the Blue wire from the Control board

that goes to the TC Module, I removed the Hot wire from it's place on the Board (lower left) and put the 12+ in the blue wire vacant spot on the Control Board. We now have no voltage on the board, and

no indication of power on the board. If I've done this right I'm supposing we have by-passed the recall. Under current condtions we have not solved the problem, Please advise as to the next step

this is telling me the problem is not in the 'recall' and the issue is there is no 12volt supply to the refer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this will be a fuse protected by your house circuit........do you have a test light or voltmeter? this will help immensely as we go.....However, your question says a fault,,,,,,,,,,,,and there was power when we started......Micahel
I have a fluke meter, I read 11.78 volts at the input to the board.
thanks.........."no indication of power on the board" ck on the board for fuses, and power.................thanks and 11.78 is barely an operating voltage..............plug the coach in,,,,,,,or start the motor,,,,,,,,,run the gen........something to bring the voltage up............
Ok! Both of the board fuses check out ok, I will go back again and recheck them. I also noticed that thered were several Diodes on the board, these are very likely to be the first to go, as a rule of thumb.

True .......too true...................what we have done by wiring past the 'recall' is to provide power directly to the board, as it was originally,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there may be other problems...............lets see................is the code gone?

Yes! the code is gone, but that might be because there is no power to send a code. There is nothing showing on the fridge led screen. I checked both the fuses on the board using "tone" and they both check out ok.
something has gone amiss........................power to the board,,,,,,,,,,,,and no interior function.........fuses good on the board............what is the model number of the refer, and I will supply you with the service manual, so you can troubleshoot further..........

the model # XXXXX the refer is 1210Im. I have the supplied manuals. One is the installation manual for the 121X

series of RV Refig's and the other is an owners manual for the same refer. Thanks.

click here this is the service manual to your refer,,,,it details troubleshooting that needs to be done to determine your issue at this time.........Michael
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician

Current address is

xxxx xxxx

xxxx xxxx xxxx RD.

xxxx, N.Y.

xxxx.

I'm sorry, the only communication I am allowed to have is here online per Just answe rules.................Michael