RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Bought a 2006 Wildwood LE 29BH a couple of months ago. Need…

Bought a 2006 Wildwood LE...
Bought a 2006 Wildwood LE 29BH a couple of months ago. Need to replace the A/C unit. No manual for A/C provided with unit. Cooling fins are in very bad shape, unit only blows air, not cold air. Appears it will not hold freon. Wondering what is the proper A/C unit to replace with. Current A/C is a Duo-Therm. And is removal and installation possible at home ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There...

These will be rated in BTU'S and I would stick with the current rated BTU.... Under the cover inside or under the cover on the top should be a sticker with the model and serial number, what I would do is get all the information you can and then call a camping world and they can tell you what will fit in. IF you go with another Duo Therm the change out should be fairly simple, shut the breaker off for that AC unit, dis-connect all the 12 volt dc wiring and AC wiring. Next you will see 4 or 5 very long bolts running up into the AC unit, in between the AC unit and roof is a rubber gasket, (which you will need). Remove the long bolts and the AC should lift off, sometimes they get stuck and you may need to get a hack saw blade to cut the gasket or a thin flat bar to pry up on the ac unit, it should come off... The only issue you might run into when installing is that new gasket, when you put the bolts back in the gasket should be compressed 1/2 way, you do not want to over tighten it or the AC unit may not work, have seen that before... A shop would charge 1/2 hour to remove the old and only a 1 hour to install a new one..... IF you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic