RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refridgerator is not cooling properly. The freezer is down…

My refridgerator is not cooling...
My refridgerator is not cooling properly. The freezer is down to 10 but the fridge is around 60 and not cooling very well. It is a Dometic 2612. I have blown and cleaned the back of the unit
7/17/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There.....

Have you tried using both AC and LP? Need to know if it is not cooling on both sources.....

Thanks, Robert

Yes I have tried both and it seems to be about the same. Maybe a little better with ac

OK

This could be a few things. First I would check the thermistor. You can do this with a volt meter. You unplug the thermistor at the control board, go inside and put the other end in a cup of ice water, go back to the connector and take a OHM reading. Click HERE and see page 7.... IF the thermistor is good and the unit is level with proper ventilation then it could be the cooling unit if it is not cooling on both sources and the coils on the back are hot. The freezer can still get cold but you can still have a blockage in the box section.

The best way to check a cooling unit, is to bypass the thermostat and all of the electronics and run the refrigerator direct. To do this, you will need to trace the wires from the 110 volt heating element and unplug them from the control board. Next, you will need to take an extension cord (a heavy one) and cut the end off of it. Strip the wires back on the extension cord, and wire the 110 volt element to the extension cord. Plug the extension cord into a household outlet, level the refrigerator, and let it run for a few hours. If the unit heats up and no cooling takes place, then you have a bad cooling unit. If the refrigerator cools in both the freezer and refrigerator compartments, then the cooling unit is good and you have another problem. Such as the thermistor etc....... The service manual should help some.... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
so i tested the thermistor and got a reading of 2000-3000omhs, so the thermistor is bad and need to be replaced?

OK

IF you had you meter set at 20K then the thermistor is not in the range it should be. What you could try is leave it unplugged many times it will default to full cold if the thermistor is unplugged....(Sorry for the delay)

Robert

Replaced the thermistor and it didn't help. In fact it is a little worse.

OK

Next I would bypass the controls and hook the heating element up directly to AC power and see if it cools, no cooling and the cooling unit is bad, they can become blocked and if you wire the heating element directly it should cool in the box.... You should see the wires for the AC heating element going to the control box, get an old lamp cord or extension cord and wire it in to the leads for the heating element. IF it fails to cool then the cooling unit is bad, if it cools then I would be looking at the control module. The freezer will always cool before the box, due to the flow of refrigerant in the absorption style fridge, so the cooling unit could be at fault if the box is not cooling on both sources..... Make sure the fridge is level, and nothing also fell behind the coils and the vent on the top is clear..... Hope this helps some more, the thermistor also could have been at fault, and that was the correct item to try first.....

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns.... Robert