RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Rockwood tent trailer. AC power coming in is good.

I have a Rockwood tent...
I have a Rockwood tent trailer. AC power coming in is good. All 12 volt works through power converter. Two breakers (red and black) are engaged. All wires are securely connected. I have no power from the ac outlets in the trailer. The first outlet connected is GFI and it has been reset. Light comes on on outlet when the GFI is tripped (does that mean there is power there?). Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Thanks.
7/3/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There....

To me it sounds if you have a bad connection at one of the outlets if you are seeing a light, the outlets could not be working but have a wiring issue, to confirm this you can get a polarity checker, it will plug into the outlets and tell you if you have a wiring issue, such as short or ground, home depot sells them for a few dollars. I might unplug the main power source, shut the breakers off and start pulling the outlets to make sure all the wires are secured properly and are not touching...... Hope this helps some, Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I tested the outlet with an outlet tester and it tested correct but still no power when I plug in an appliance.

This is a head scratcher, if the polarity is correct the appliance should be working...

What power source are you using, or plugging into? Are you using a standard household outlet, or a 15, 30 or 50 amp service?

Also have you tried to plug something else in?

Robert

Here is some more information. First, this is a regular outlet just like it would be in the house.

There are four plug sockets. The first socket tests normal, the next three test open neutral. I checked the neutral wire on the first socket and it seems okay. Here is the other thing I found out. When I turn on the refrigerator (110v), all of the sockets test "Hot/Grd Rev" which I assume means hot and ground wires are reversed. Would the AC wiring be wired through the refrigerator and could that be the problem? I checked the AC wires going into the refrigerator and they seemed fine. Thanks again.

OK

I would try a different power source just to be sure to start.....

The Fridge does have a AC plug it plugs into, I suspect if the heating element was shorted out it could be a problem..... IF you get me the make and mode number of the fridge we can check it with a meter......

The other option would be to plug the fridge into an outlet away from the trailer, and see if it runs correctly.

I would also check the wiring on that breaker, and the other outlets, they should all be tied together......

Robert

Power source is good - i plugged an appliance into it and it works fine.

Plugged the fridge into a separate source and it doesn't work.

Checked wiring on all sockets and they are good.

What do you mean when you say "check the wiring on that breaker?" Which breaker?

The breaker for the outlets... Should have a main breaker panel with a few breakers in it..........

Also to "Calrify" this problem is only happening when you turn the Fridge ON??

Thanks, Robert

There are two breakers, a red and black one. I'll check the wiring on those. I was wrong about the fridge, it does appear to be working when plugged in to the extension cord directly.

OK

So just need to clear this up....

A... the Fridge does not work when plugged into the RV trailer, but will when you use an outside source?

B...... When the fridge is not working the outlets also do not work, but if the fridge is unplugged the outlets do work?

Thanks, Robert

A. Yes

B. Sort of. I just reconnected everything. the outlet first in line now works with the refrigerator unplugged. The three outlets past the refrigerator still do not work and give me a neutral open signal. however, there is barely a signal of light on the bulb that would indicate normal. Bad wiring after the first outlet perhaps?