RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic refrigerator that freezer works and refrigerator…

I have a Dometic refrigerator...
I have a Dometic refrigerator that freezer works and refrigerator is not
Breaker is ok
Checked one fuse behind the service port is ok

Any idea what else i can check?
6/29/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!

Do you happen to have the Model Number?

Also have you tried both LP and AC?

Thanks, Robert

No model number available at this moment, i have in auto and also,tried gas for a little.

OK

Might need the model number, but as for general troubleshooting, need to make sure if it is not cooling on both sources or only one source. Normally you want to wait about 12 hours before even checking. IF it does not cool on BOTH sources it could be a thermistor or cooling unit problem.

The cooling unit can get blocked or rupture, for a rupture you will see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge, smell ammonia or hear a gurgling when turning it own, for a blockage you might not have any symptoms but the coils should feel warm from top to bottom, any cool spots indicates a blockage and the unit will have to be replaced. The thermistor can be checked with a volt meter, normally you unplug it from the control board, drop the other end in a cup of ice and take a ohm reading to see if it is good, but each model is different for the specs......

IF you want to get back to me later with the model number that is fine, I check daily...

Robert

The freezer compartment is cooling the fridge is not
Model is DM2652

The freezer will always freeze before the box, it is how the cycle in the absorption style fridge works and many times if the main box is not cooling and the freezer is it could be the cooling unit.

Click HERE and see the section on testing for the thermistor, the DM and RM should have the same specs for that.... You want to make sure that it is good. Beyond that this may still be covered under Warranty as I do beleive they have a 2 year warranty and a shop can have a look and contact Dometic on the warranty.... hope this helps...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic