RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Duo-Therm AC/Heat pump with 5 button control. At night when…

Duo-Therm AC/Heat pump with 5...
Duo-Therm AC/Heat pump with 5 button control. At night when outside is 80's and inside set to 68 the unit will run for a few minutes then the fan will go to high for a minute then shutoff, After several minutes the process will repeat. Reading the trouble shooting manual it sounds like the freeze sensor is saying that the coil is freezing. Is it correct or is it defective?
6/28/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

It might be either............do you have this set on high or low cool? If the unit is short cycling it will freeze up. Is this a ducted system?
They (2) are roof units. I only know the front one is acting this way. There is only one mode of cool. The fan is set to auto. The problem happens at night after the inside temperature is near the set point. The humidity is low here, Albuquerque, NM. In the day time, 100 outside close to 80 inside, the AC run all the time with no problem. I have had this coach for 7 years and this is the first time the AC has acted this way,
You may have to set the lower set point at a lower number. Do you have the instructions for this?
You mean lower than freezing? No I don't have the instructions. Which manual would that be in?
No...........lower than 68 degrees or higher. The instruction manual for this. It should be in the same place as the trouble shooting guide.
Last night I set the temperature at 72 and it still did it.
I would test the freeze control..............go and CLICK HERE for a copy of the DuoTherm A/C Service Manual. See page 30 for these specs. You need a small multimeter set on ohms scale to test this. Get back to me with your findings.

On page 59 I found this:

Running the air conditioner or heat pump at a temperature
below 75 degrees Fahrenheit may cause the inside coil
(evaporator) to freeze up in the cooling mode. The most
common time for this to occur is at night. Even after the
ambient temperature has gone up, the coils will remain fro-zen. To assist the defrosting of the coil, turn the air condi-tioner to HI FAN mode; set the temperature selector to a
higher setting and let the air conditioner or heat pump fan
run until the coils are defrosted.

Last night I set the temperature to 75 and the problem did not occur. RTFM was the answer.

That usually is for sure.............I saw you had it set on "auto" and so this got overlooked.
Glad you got to that part. Very complete manual! Bookmark that so you can come back to it again and thanks for letting me know.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification