RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1979 Fleetwood: We hooked 220 current to our camper..water pump..rv…

We have a 1979 Fleetwood...
We have a 1979 Fleetwood Wilderness. We hooked 220 current to our camper by mistake. Now our water pump and refrige don't work, A RV salesman told us the convertor was probably ruined. The AC still works great, outlets and lights work too. We don't use the furnance and we cook outside. The rest of the camper is in good shape, We want to keep the camper but we need the frige and water. Suggestions.
6/23/2012
RV Mechanic: iflysi77, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
iflysi77
iflysi77, RV Mechanic

iflysi77 :

what has probaly happened is that the 110 volt elemnt in the refer shorted because of the 220. you can replace the elemnt for around 40 bucks.

What you can do is un plug refer from the wall socket and plug it in to an extension cord and turn it back on 110. That way we are making sure we have a good power source and see if it starts heating like it should.
I have 110 power to the refrig, but nothing is happening. Also the water pump is not working. I unhooked it from the camper 12 v source and hooked it up to a 12 volt battery. Nothing. Could the converter be bad? nothing on 12 volt seems to be working. Do refrig manufactures make replacements frige without propane? We don't travel more than 2 hours anywhere with the camper. Don't really need 12v as long as we have frige and water from storage tank.
There aren't any rv fridge manufacturers that make a 110v refer only. Sometimes you can find an apartment size refer to fit the hole size. It sounds to me that your converter is bad also your water pump, if you hooked it to a battery and it still didn't work. But if your refer works on gas then you could replace the element for the 110 and it should take care of you problem.
How do I check the converter? Where is it located? How much to replace? Does the frige need power to run on gas ?
The easiest way to check the converter is to take a voltage reading at the battery. If the converter is working you should have 12.5 volts or higher. On average a converter is about 250 dollars give or take depending on the model. As far as your refer on gas, if you manually light it meaning you turn a knob and hit a peizo button then no you don't need power for it to work on gas.
I started the frig on gas, the freezer is cold but the main part is not working. I took the pump off and tested again, the pump did work. I put it back on and nothing. Is the converter located next to the breaker box and the fuse panel? All the fuses appear to be okay.
Yes the converter is located next the the fuses. Glad to hear the pump is good. How long has the refer been on. It takes 6 to 8 hours for the refer portion to get to operating temp. If it has been on that long and still nothing in the refer box then you have a blockage in the cooling unit. You can try taking out the refer and turning upside down for an hour then put it back in to clear the blockage. This is only a temporary fix thou. At some point it will get a blockage again and the cooling unit will need to be replaced.
iflysi77
iflysi77, RV Mechanic