RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

travel trailer..my rear yard..ac running and it blew the breaker…

I have a 2007 Jayco...
I have a 2007 Jayco Jayflight 31rks travel trailer. I have it connected to an electrical outlet in my rear yard for about three weeks now. Today I was doing some work inside with the AC running and it blew the breaker to the electrical outlet. After resetting the breaker it seams the trailer is not getting power now. I checked all the trailer breakers and they are all fine. Any suggestions?
6/21/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Is this hooked up to a standard household outlet? Any extension cords involved?

Yes

Therein lies the problem. You would have a hard time running an A/C off a standard house outlet with no extension cord. Those are rated at either 15 or 20 amps. The A/C can pull 20 amps all by itself on a hot day. Add anything else like a fridge or battery charging or lights and you are overdrawn in the amp department quickly. Add an extension cord and it gets worse as this adds more resistance and the voltage drops. When this happens the amperage goes up. This overloads the circuit and something has to give. Breakers usually trip first. Sometimes they just flat burn out. If you have flipped the ones on the trailer off and then back on and the same in the house and still have no power then a breaker may be bad. If you have a small multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 this can be easily checked. Hopefully, no damage has been done to the A/C. You really need a dedicated 30 amp plug if this is a 30 amp cord (3 prongs) or a 50 amp plug (4 prongs) with an adapter. That would allow the A/C to be used here safely.

Check those things and if you need help with the testing please get back to me. This is not hard and I can guide you though it. All follow ups are included in our fee. Positive feedback would be appreciated when I have fully answered your question and satisfied your concerns here. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNTIL WE ARE FINISHED! Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying but I am not getting any power to the trailer at all. Fridge, TV etc. not just the AC

Not sure you read my answer..........I did say to check the power in the house as well. It may be something as simple as that. IF NOT........testing will be needed to find out what is burned up and not passing current. We can do that or you can spend a bunch of $$$ and have it done. One reason people come to this site is due to us saving them a ton of $$$ and time. Check the breaker on the house and if that is good get back to me. If you don't know plug something else in. And PLEASE........do not make a rating until we are though. Thanks!
The household is good. I just hooked up my generator to the trailer and still no power getting to the trailer.
You may have burned up a breaker or the cord. You need a multimeter to do some testing as there is no way to know without one. About $15 at your local hardware. I can guide you in the testing.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
OK thank you for your assistance. You have been very helpful. I know where to look and test.
Come back to this posting if you need more help..........it is included in our fee. Thanks for the good feedback!
Hello Sir. Yes. I appreciate your assistance. I found the problem. The 30 amp to 15 amp adapter went bad. I found it when checking continuity.
Good job! Thanks for letting me know. Try to get a 30 amp dedicated RV hookup installed at your home so you don't overload the circuits and this probably won't happen again. Especially, if you want to use the A/C...........you can't on a 15 or 20 amp home plug.