RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

my dometic rv refrigerator is not cooling..coolant..coil..propane…

My Dometic RV refrigerator is...
My Dometic RV refrigerator is not cooling although the coolant has not leaked out. We thinkg that the coil has gone bad. The refrigerator turns on with both the propane and electricity. Is there a way to fix this. We had stored the trailer for years and it was working really well then. What can we do to get this to work again. Geri
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

What is the model number of the dometic or the Year of your RV?

Thanks, Robert

My trailer is a 1989 Prowler, it has been stored in a building when not in use.

the refrigerator is a Dometic 2601, It was working perfectly when stored. I also can't spend a lot of money to fix it, so if a new coil or whatever it is, it is out of the question.

OK

I understand and do not mean to bring you bad news, If the unit has leaked for an extended amount of time the ammonia smell may no longer be present but you will probably hear a gurgling sound coming from the back of your refrigerator a few minutes after you turn it on. You are really limited to what you can do. You can try and remove the unit from the enclosure and flip the fridge a few times and then you can try and stand the unit up for a few hours and then try again on AC mode, let it run on AC mode a full 24 hours before checking. Normally for a blockage or leak the cooling unit has to be replaced or a new fridge is needed. IF you need advice and removal please let me know.... Robert

I was hoping for a figure about how much it would cost to repair. I do hope that we can get it fixed some how We are elderly and can't afford much as we are on a fixed income. Our beloved President has made it legal to steel the interest income that we older people had been living on. So, no extra income for repairs.

OK

What I would do and this should be free for you to do, is call a camping world with the serial number and model. They can tell you if the cooling unit can be replaced and cost and the price of a new unit.

To have a shop troubleshoot, will cost .65 of a hour.

To replace the cooling unit you are looking at 5 hours of labor

To replace the fridge you are looking at 3.5 hours of labor, maybe more if the door needs to be removed or the cabinet needs modified that the fridge sits in, so you can add that to the cost camping world gives you, most shops charge about 100 a hour but some mobile guys charge 50 to 100 so it is good to look around.....

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I have reviewed your answer today the internet went down so had to wait until tonight to get on the computer. I am satisfied now that I have an idea of where and how much it may cost. We are elderly and on a very limitied budget. I am sorry that I can't afford to give you a tip, you have been a help and I thank you,

Sincerely

Geri