RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

norcold 774eg2 fridge in a 1968 avion truck camper..12 pack..coils…

Customer Question
I have a Norcold 774EG2...
I have a Norcold 774EG2 fridge in a 1968 Avion truck camper, just got the unit in December. I have had the fridge plugged into 110v for two weeks and had a 12 pack of soda in the interior. The coils on the back of the unit are hot to the touch but the interior of the fridge remains warm. There is some cooling in the freezer compartment. Any ideas on what to check/repair ?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
5/28/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

That is a sign the cooling unit has failed. This is an old fridge and you can't get many parts any more for it. Time to invest in a newer model. There are some good used ones around if you don't want to invest in a new one. Shop around as the price varies quite a bit. Sorry the news wasn't better.........we don't see many of those still in service. If there were parts available you could rebuild it, but in this case that wouldn't be a good idea. Most of the time it is better to stick with the same brand, but you can also go to a Dometic fridge and there will be more good used ones out there from them.
Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.
R.J
.
Thanks for the quick reply. If I plan to buy either new or used how have they changed since this one was built ? I want to stay with a 110v/LP/12v if possible just for the flexibility. When looking at used how do I know it works ? I'm familiar with Dometic and Norcold are there others to consider ? Small home compressor type fridges are a dime a dozen, if push comes to shove based on price are these viable ?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was out looking at some property today.

Compressor fridges are o.k.if you never leave home............for dry camping or traveling you have to have LP or 12 VDC. On a used one you have to see it work. That can be tough. Lots of competitive sellers on E-Bay or I would try American RV in Southern California. If you need some idea on replacement let me know. I will be out for a few hours and then back. R.J.