RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

pilot: atwood water heater..turn it to on and everything works fine…

Customer Question
I have an older atwood...
I have an older atwood water heater in an 89 terry. I light the pilot and then turn it to on and everything works fine. It runs properly for about 2 min and then i hear a click and the main burner and the pilot light go out. I can then relight and it all happens over and over. Any suggestions to what would be causing this?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
5/20/2012
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 10 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael hi, the problem is that when the main burner comes on, it 'sucks' the pilot out...............The fix for this is to replace the pilot assy, you can try to clean it.................soak it in acetone,,,,,,,,,,,let is dry then reinstall it.......But as a 'professional' I have to replace it............Michael
While the main burner is on the pilot stays lit and then i hear this click and they both go out at the same time.
Hi what is the model number of the waterheater? its located outside open the door, and its on a small id plate on the side.......thanks
I wrote it down but lost it i think it was a G6A6. It has electric on the inside and gas outside with a manual light pilot light. The trailer is a few hours away and i will be returning again next weekend just wondering what parts it could be.
Thank you for responding ...........................other than what I have discussed, low lp pressure can add to this problem (although its not common) you will need a monometer, to test,.................However, light the stove, and you will KNOW if the pressure is within range of proper operation..........is it mainly blue? The click you hear is the gas valve shutting off, when satisfied by the thermostat , and hot water....it shuts off as the pilot is off when it tries to relight..................
The cook stove, the fridge and the furnace are all working properly so i kind of thought that propane pressure wouldn't be it, but i could be wrong. There is a blue flame when you use the cook stove. It seems to me when I hear the click noise that the contol unit is cutting gas to both the pilot and the main burner. It does this before the water in the tank ever gets hot. I was wondering if it would be the thermostat control with the switch on it.
Yes you are correct............Gas pressure is a last resort issue in this scenario..........................If it shuts off prior to acheiving heat................you will need to replace the gas control...........Now know this is a pricy proposition.......and its time to consider a new water heater.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,perhaps one with electronic ignition
if i do go with electronic ignition is it difficult to wire a on off switch for it
Not really, Its a hot lead to the switch inside then 3 wires to the water heater..............
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician