RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

99 fleetwood discovery when plugged into shore power the…

Customer Question
99 fleetwood discovery when plugged...
99 fleetwood discovery when plugged into shore power the coach batteries will not stay charged. when i start the engine the charge system from the engine will charge the coach batteries. after i shut off the engine the coach batteries will stay charged for a while and i can hear the inverter buzzing, but after a short period of time the inverter stips buzzing and the batteries start to drain. any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
5/20/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is ***** ***** perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

How long has it been since you had the batteries load tested and checked for shorted cells? That is the first thing I would do if I had this in the shop. And what is the make and model of your inverter? You will need a small multimeter for some testing. Those can be found at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 for a digital readout model. Please get back to me once you have the batteries checked out and we can go from there. Even new batteries go bad all the time so the age of them isn't a factor most times. All follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

Just a short note as a follow up here to see how this is going. How did the batteries test out? Please get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.