RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

roof..Duo-therm..13,500 btu set thermostat to cool A/C unit powers…

I have a roof top...
I have a roof top Duo-Therm Mdl 57915.331 13,500 btu set thermostat to cool A/C unit powers up but only hums. Checked power and sources are adequate for unit. Worked well all last summer, this fall the thermostat would not register temp. correctly so I replaced with new unit Dometic C/F Part # (NNN) NNN-NNNN032 analog H/C. Unit identical to old one and worked great, thought I checked A/C also at time but not sure. Went to start unit last week and would power up but no fan or cold air just hums? To be sure of service checked with a volt meter. I also cranked up the 3.5K generator for a try same thing would load up but only hum no air flow?
5/1/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Go up and take the cover off and see if the fan blade has been locked up by wasp's nests. This is common. Best take some spray up with you as this tends to tick them off. Or it may be just a bit rusted..........spray some WD-40 on the shaft near the motor and spin the fan a few times. Then with the cover off try it again. If it still hums we have a different problem and you will need to get into the controls up there. Go and you can CLICK HERE for a copy of the Duo Therm Service Manual which we will use if we need to go further. Bookmark it so you can come back to it any time. All follow ups are included in our fee. No limit as to time or number of responses. R.J.
I have to go out and check will let you know never thought of that be back to you in about a hour but liked the response thanks
I will be around all day..............if the fan is free then we have to look at the start capacitor and PTCR resistor. R.J.
Your the EXPERT no wasps but fan was locked up freed it WD40 checked out runs as good as last summer, I will cycle at least once a month thanks a heap Lee
You are welcome, Lee.......Glad it was something simple.............keep the AC voltage up and it will run for many years if you keep the wasps out as well! R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the nice bonus............much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can get you an immediate answer and save you a bunch of time and $$$ besides! R.j.