RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2005 jayco eagle 291rlts fifth wheel R.V...small hole..one wire…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Jayco...
I have a 2005 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS fifth wheel R.V. There was a small tag on the ceiling that said wire for ceiling fan over a small hole. After opening up the hole I find only one wire (blue) in a loop. What gives?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
4/30/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

What is the last 8 of your VIN number? I will have to give Jayco Tech line a call tomorrow and ask about that. I have never seen just one wire. R.J.
VIN number 51LTO337
Got it..............let me get back to you tomorrow. I am in California so it will be later in the morning here. R.J.
That's fine, I won't be able to check till evening anyway.
10-4
Waiting for Jayco to call me back.........the woman I talked to didn't think they had a fan option in that year and told me another department would call me. Sometimes that isn't right away. R.J.
I was can't find where that blue wire goes into a switch but it's right where the tag indicated but then seems to go right into the fuse panel.

That would make it a positive lead and maybe they just figure you will run your own ground. Not something I have seen........I am asking for the wiring schematics for this.

R.J.

Thanks; I won't get a chance to get back to it for another couple of days but, one of the dealers here tell me it's 110 volt A.C. circuit but it looks to me like the 12 volt D.C. circuit. There must be switch to turn power off besides the pull switch on the fan. I sure hope the schematics will show us what we need to know. Joe.
I am still waiting for a call, Joe.............I will let you know. R.J.
Jayco finally called me and told me there should have been another wire hooked to that when you pulled it out. The blue is the 12 VDC positive and there should have been a white negative in there. If not, you can tie into a ground up there wherever it is closest. How far is this from a vent so you can get into the ceiling? Once you pull the trim out around the opening you can usually see for a ways and use some wire to pull in a ground lead. Get back to me if you need more, Joe..........R.J.
Hi Randall; sorry about the delay but I'm a bit more confused now. Your expert tells us that we have a 12 volt circuit but our local Jayco dealer here in Saskatoon tried to get me a 12 volt fan and was told by Jayco they don't have and never did have 12 volt fans. They advised me to go to any lighting store and buy a 110 volt fan. So now I didn't get satisfaction from anyone. I hate to give a negative rating because it sounds like you gave me the best information you have. Joe
I gave you what Jayco Customer Service gave me. I would give them a call and verify this yourself. Pick up a set of wiring diagrams for this coach and it will show what the status of that wire is. That number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand you give them the last 8 of your VIN number. And they may have just wired this so you can add an after market fan and never planned on supplying it themselves. Please let me know what you find out. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification