RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

my rv..system went..No breakers are tripped and no fuses are blown.

Customer Question
The lights in my RV...
The lights in my RV do not work. Before they went out, they would go out when the heating system came on, but come back on when the heating system went off. No breakers are tripped and no fuses are blown. Outlets and microwave are working. Help!
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
4/22/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This is almost always a battery issue. You should have them load tested and checked for shorted cells. This needs to be done at least once a year. Get that done and then we can check the charging system and see if that is working as well. Be sure and clean or replace any cables that have heavy corrosion between the terminals and the wiring. All follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.

No battery involved. Plugged in to 220 volt connection at house.
If you are plugged into a 220 VAC outlet you have a big problem. This has to be on a 30amp 120 VAC outlet unless you have a 50 amp cord. Even then you need batteries in the coach to be in good shape. The furnace operates on 12 VDC current and won't turn on without a battery in the system. If you have a multimeter we can do some testing. Those can be found at most automotive or hardware stores. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Sorry, meant 120 vac. Where is battery located. I don't travel with this. Just use occasional. Parked behind a rental house.
Either on the front tray or in a storage compartment.........usually in the front. Unplug the trailer before you take this out to avoid shorting out the wiring. IF this is a 5th wheel they are in the front. R.J.