RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

replace an older model dometic Duo-therm rv air conditioner.

Customer Question
We need to replace an...
We need to replace an older model Dometic Duo-Therm RV air conditioner. This is the infomation about the existing unit: Model #: 610115.405 BTU: 13,500 Product no.: XXXXXXXXX air box: ASM 318542.016 serial no.:(NNN) NNN-NNNNI have a 20+year old Holiday Rambler Limited that is in great shape but needs the AC unit replaced. Don't hesitate to call me if you need any further information, Mike: XXX-XXX-XXXX. I am a bus mechanic/machinist and hope to purchase the necessary parts and replace it myself. I appreciate you help. Mike XXXXX
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
4/12/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Mike............Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question. I am out on the road this week and apparently others may be on vacation. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Are you sure you need a new unit? And do you have a direct discharge on this or is this a ducted unit..............they can come both ways. Please get back to me and I can assist you further. I will be out for dinner for a bit and then checking back in. R.J.
Thanks for the reply, Randall. I think it is a direct discharge unit, there is no duct work that I can see. Both roof units seem to be controlled from the rear unit only, but the rear blows cold and the front does not. Could it be a wiring problem between the two units? Is there a way to test the front unit independently by "jumping" the thermostat? It has the older R-22 freon in both units. It does not need a heating element, as we use the furnace on board.
Please advise if I can troubleshoot this problem myself, I have a auto/diesel background from years ago, but have been a maint machinist for the last 28 years. I obviously want to diagnose this problem correctly to avoid unecessary purchases.
Thanks,
Does this coach have a 30 amp shore cord or a 50 amp cord? And yes, you can do some trouble shooting.............go and CLICK HERE for a copy of the Dometic Service Manual which may be helpful for this. It is quite long so Bookmark it so you can come right back to it. Direct discharge models blow the air right out the bottom of the unit. And what thermostat do you have? Analog or digital? R.j.
The coach has a 50 amp shore power cord and the thermostat is analog.
So these each have a thermostat? You want to verify that it has power to it. See pages 50 an 51 in the manual. Also be sure you have a good AC current to the A/C itself. I would take a voltage reading at each of the service breakers to insure that isn't a problem where the voltage is reduced due to a bad breaker. And many times the DC current to the thermostat or ceiling control comes through a furnace circuit. Do you have one or two furnaces? Get back to me with this and we can go from there. And it would be a good idea to rule out a bad compressor. With the AC power off you can test the compressor as per that section. See page 29. You take an ohms reading between each pair on the compressor once you disconnect the leads. Use some care here as the capacitors may still be hot. Use some insulated needle nose pliers. Keep track of the ohms readings you get and then take one between each pin and the case of the compressor. You usually have to scratch it some to get a good reading. Actually, you don't want to see a reading here which would indicate the compressor is grounding out.

Do this, Mike and then get back to me. I will watch for your post. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification