RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

my atwood water heater is both gas/electric..light comes..circuit…

please help ,my atwood water...
please help ,my atwood water heater is both gas/electric. flip the switch inside the unit light comes on ,no heat. diconnected the thermal cut off, cleaned and checked the circuit board. read all instructions, my unit is a 2012 brand new . what am i missing? thank you.
4/4/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer....

When you try and use it on LP is it even trying to ignite? You should be able to hear it.... Also what is the full model of this water heater?

Thanks, Robert

hey robert the lp does light,eletronic ignition 6 gallon g68-8e,gch6a-9e,gc6aa-9e,gh6-8e theres 4 under pilot ignition.

OK

SO it is lighting and you have good flame but the problem is NO hot water?

Thanks, Robert

since ive owned the unit ,ive only used the eletric side of the water heater ive never used the lp due to the price ,its worked fine until sunday night, i would fliop the on switch inside wait 20 min ,waters hot , now nothing.

OK

So I guess I need to know the exact problem, IT IS working on LP but not electric? I got the part you only use the electric side but want to make sure we are on the same page, sometimes it takes a few times going back and forth.....

Robert

correct the LP is fine..the electric does not work.

OK

Got it.... Keep in mind on this it is a 2012 and you need to be careful how much you take apart, this should be covered under warranty.

For the AC side I would verify that you do not have any breakers inside tripped, this requires AC voltage and should come from the breaker panel. Sometimes these breakers are not marked for the water heater so you want to cycle all of them. Next I would then isolate your AC power and gain access to the back of the water heater, this will be from inside the unit, some do have a cut off for the AC side in a metal junction box, they will be a tiny button you have to push in. I would also inspect the wiring to the heating element. My feelings are that you should not have to be pulling items apart as any repairs should be under warranty so I would check what you can and then get it to a shop. IF they see you were messing with some of the items it could void the warranty. The heating element should be working normally I tell people to wait 45 mins but in your case it sounds like a wiring issue or the element is bad which would be very odd for being so new...

Hope this helps...

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic