RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

30amp..electrical plug..I leave the coach in inverter mode?thanks…

Customer Question
Hi, I have to have...
Hi, I have to have my rv unplugged from 30amp outlet for about 8hours. I am having the electrical plug installed in my rv shed. How long can I leave the coach in inverter mode?
thanks
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
3/13/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing just Answer,

It really depends on how much AC usage you are going to use and if the batteries are charged up. I would limit the use of using the AC items and I would try not to use anything draws allot of amps such as the roof AC unit, Microwave etc. This will really knock down the battery voltage. The inverter takes the battery voltage and makes the DC voltage so if you have no way of charging then the battery will go down quicker in inverter mode. Some units have a power converter and when you unplug you have no AC voltage at all and are only running off the battery power. IF you have an inverter I would limit the use until the plug is done.

Robert

I have a doctors appointment in another town, and must leave the rv unplugged at my residense while the electricians move the current plug. I wll be away for about 5 to 6 hours. The only thing I have running will be the refrigrator - do you this this will be ok?

Yes...

This should be OK if the batteries are in good condition and charged up, IF you have LP mode for the fridge and that works I would run it on LP vs inverter. Many times when you unplug from shore power it switches to LP anyway... You should be OK... I would let them know that the inverter is on so there are no surprises to them if they have to check something...

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic