RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2006 KZ Escalade 5th wheel with Norcold refrigerator Model…

2006 KZ Escalade 5th wheel...
2006 KZ Escalade 5th wheel with Norcold refrigerator Model 1200LRIMSSD Serial No.(NNN) NNN-NNNN Refrigerator seemed to have lost AC Power. Was working fine for over 4 months. Recall was performed last summer and the the module they installed has an iluminated red light which is "lit". I checked the AC outlet with a meter and have 120V. All other lights and appliances are working fine. Front control panel is "dead" and fridge light is not working either.
2/10/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

The first place to check is to see if you have 12 VDC coming into the control board as this control system is all 12 VDC. Once you know if you have that we can go from there. Find those two leads that come into the bottom of the board. Be careful not to mix them up. You want to see over 12 VDC there. Let me know what you find. R.J.

Once you do that we can go from there. Go and CLICK HERE for a copy of the Norcold Service Manual for this model. I would Bookmark this so you can come back to it later as there is a bunch of great and useful information in there and we will use that for any trouble shooting. When you get back to me please let me know if the fridge is level and whether or not it is installed in a slide out. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I have 13.66 VDC going into the control module that was installed on the recall last yearRandall, I hit the wrong button....hit accept answer and not reply to expert. Hope you are still there!!
You want to check right at the power board on the rear. Take a look at the manual link and it will identify what leads you need. Let me know what you find. R.J.See page 28........if you have power to the board then we want to take the cover off and check the fuse on the board. You have to removed the power plug from the board, but disconnect it from the receptacle first. Mark the leads. The leads for the heating elements are not polarity sensitive so that you don't need to worry about. Then remove the four 1/4" screws with a nut driver and the cover will come off. If the fuse is good then hook the 12 VDC leads up again to the board and see if you have power IN and OUT of the fuse. Let me know what you find and we can go from there. R.J.

OK...I will remove the unit and check the fuse...

There is not 12vdc power going into the fridge control box. I checked the module which was installed last summer and I have 13.6vdc going into that module and none coming out. The 12vdc line exiting that module goes directly into the fridge control box and it is "dead"

Then the safety has tripped showing that the cooling unit has overheated. That is what this is for. Is the fridge level? This is the usual cause. Any smell of ammonia or any yellowish residue near the burner? Those would be signs of cooling unit failure. Let me know what you find. R.J.

Fridge is level....i'll check the burner. Tried to get the control box out to check the fuse as suggested but gave up....almost impossible to get to the 1/4" screws. Hopefully I wont have to remove the box. Going to check the burner. I didnt smell any amonia. Another note....washed trailer today and fridge was out after washing trailer. Everything was dry in the back of the fridge though.

If you don't have 12 VDC out of the safety fuse you don't need to get into the control board. The problem is in the safety and it has tripped out due to overheating on the fridge.......as a rule. No chance you got it wet? Spraying water into that opening could do that. Those have to have a Norcold certified shop or tech replace. If you need a number for them let me know........but, you might check with a local mobile tech or shop. R.J.

I bet water got sprayed onto the modul.....DARN!! I checked the burner and it looks great. I'll contact an RV repair shop for a replacement control module. I am located in Mesa, any suggestions?

No..........I don't know of any for certain there except there will be many. Be sure they are Norcold certified and they can assist you. Next time cover that inspection cover or put some foam pipe insulation in the slots first to keep the water out. Also good for when the RV isn't being used. Keeps both the water and bugs out. Ace Hardware or Lowes or Home Depot have it in 6 ft lengths. Cut is to fit and stuff it into the crack. Cheap and effective. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.........but, not the first either. Please get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.

Thanks for your great help.....I think we are done and I am extremely satisfied. Please direct me to a checkout page so I can leave a tip..

That comes up each time I respond with an answer.........and you are welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can get you an immediate answer and save you a bunch of $$$ besides. R.J.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification