RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

electrical system in bus conversion RV. 1..lighting..converter…

Customer Question
LOOKING FOR A FULL EXPLANATION...
LOOKING FOR A FULL EXPLANATION of how to install an electrical system in bus conversion RV.
1. If I want to use standard refrigerator, lighting & other appliances:
a. Can I just wire for Alternating Current?

b. Pluses & minuses of using a converter or inverter to run off battery power when dry camping.

c. How does solar panels & generators fit into having standard AC electrical system?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
2/9/2012
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Your best bet is to install a "standard" RV system with a converter and batteries with the necessary relays and disconnect solenoids. This will give you numerous AC and DC circuits for various uses. If you want to dry camp then some solar panels would be helpful to maintain the batteries...........both for DC use and also if you want to have an inverter for some AC use as well. Dry camping this needs to be limited or else you need a good sized battery bank. Most larger Class A units have four 6 VDC golf cart batteries hooked up in a series/parallel hook up to give you the maximum amp hours of 12 VDC power. Inverter/chargers come in different sizes depending on what you want to power up.

RV fridges can be run on a small inverter if you don't want to use LP mode. Almost all RV appliances except a microwave or stove use a 12 VDC powered control board. There are some that are strictly LP powered.

Solar panels have a charger/controller and allow you to hook up the panels to any portion of the DC systems. Most on RVs hook up at the fridge due to the ease of coming down the opening in the roof from the fridge vent cap.

Generators can be added by use of an automatic transfer switch installed in the circuit and most of the time you have it right at the junction of the shore cord and genset feed and then the power goes to the distribution panel and/or inverter/charger.

Many of these parts can be obtained from places dealing in used RV parts and wouldn't have to be bought new. That can save you a bunch of money. Go and CLICK HERE for one that I recommend a lot of time. There are others.

E-Bay Motors is a good source and you might look at buying an old junker RV and getting some of this out of there. I just had a customer yesterday who wanted to know if he should spend $500 for one. Craig's List is another source of parts.

Hope that helps..........please get back to me if you need more on the specifics as follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.
? Some people put in standard refrigerator and LED lights - Why is it better to run on DC?
It takes less power and you can dry camp more effectively. If you were going to only be hooked up to AC power that would be a different story. Many RV fridges give you at least two modes and some have three. DC mode can be helpful when you are traveling down the road as you can have the fridge on and not use any LP or AC. Quite a number of ways to do this. R.J.
I am trying to understand the different pieces parts of Automotive DC, Coach DC and Alternating Current. If I knew more your answer would be more helpful. I guess dual wiring is needed - both DC AND AC?
That is the job of the converter or inverter............to change AC to DC and vice versa. Once you decide what you want to accomplish you can plan the system. There are diagrams for this once you decide which way you want to go. Planning is the part that takes some time. Some appliances have both AC and DC feeds. Not a hard as you think.
R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I guess I'll look for more info somewhere else.
I can give you more information, but until you plan out how much power you want available and choose some appliances I can't tell you except in general what you need. Get back to me with some specifics and I can tell you more about how to hook this up. Figure out how much power you need for the AC side and what you want to have on the DC side. Then I can make specific recommendations for you. All follow ups are included in our fee. Bookmark this and you can come back to it at any time. R.J.