RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Control unit inside trailer, turn rocker switch for gas option on…

Customer Question
Concerning Hot Water heater -...
Concerning Hot Water heater - in gas mode.

Gas is on and fuel available.

On control unit inside trailer, turn rocker switch for gas option on.

After about 15 seconds, the fault light comes on.

It did work - - but not dependable - - sometimes would come on and other times not.

Now, it does not come on - and fault light shows quickly.

Is it the termostate sensor that is pressed against the tank?

There seems to be an add-on to that circuit in the form of a resistor or similar on the red wire.

Thanks,

Steve
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
1/22/2012
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

So you are saying on the outside to get it to start you would push on the thermostat and it would come on?

IS this an Atwood water heater?

Thanks, Robert

Yes -hard to find a name, but I saw Atwood. It is the 6 gal variety with the electric and gas options.

OK

The key is no clicking..... I would think it is that thermostat as it could cause the water heater to not ignite. Also most of these have a Thermal Cut off on the brown wire going to the T stat, it should be in a plastic sleeve and that is a one time fuse,when it blows the water heater will not work. You can check resistance with a volt meter or continuity to see if it is good, or remove and use a jumper wire for testing only.

The other issue it could be is a poor connection or faulty control board, clean the contact on the control board with a pencil eraser. Replacing the T stat and ECO will be the best to start, the kits do not cost that much. IF that does not correct the problem and the Thermal Cut Off fuse is good then I would have a shop test the control board to see if it is good. My money is on that T stat or Thermal cut off since when you push on it you got it to work and a faulty T stat can cause no sparking... Robert (also if you do not see that thermal cut off get me the full model number of the water heater)

Pulled brown wires off T stat. Checked the T stat and it is a closed circuit - so it seems to be working properly.

I checked tiny fuse - - seems to be closed as well.

I ran both brown wires directly to the T Stat - still get the high pitched hum, but fault light came on - just the same - no ignition.

Is the circuit board you mentioned control the electric portion also?

I could turn on the electric and see if it heats. Would that help any in our trouble shooting?

Is the circuit board something I can replace? Is it located where a bundle of wires that go into the unit - top right side - - next to the pressure relief valve and just to the top right of the T stat.

OK

The water heater still may could be faulty, and I would have a shop test that control board out to see if it is good, I would also look very closely at all the wiring, make sure all the connections are good and you have adequate voltage, over 11 volts. Anything under that it may not work properly. On some Atwoods the control boars is in the upper right hand corner next to the relief valve. Pull that connector off and clean that board contacts with a pencil eraser. I would still have it tested if possible, they are a little spendy..

Also what I would do is verify that electrode gap make sure it is about 1/8" and make sure the wire going into the control board is not rubbed and that the cermaic material on the electrode is not cracked at all.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks for the help with trouble shooting. I will pull the connector on the circuit board to be sure it's clean.

Gap is good and so is ceramic material.

If nothing else, guess must go to repair shop :(