RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

On my 1995 prowler 28 foot 5th wheel camper is a. Newcomb…

On my 1995 prowler 28...
On my 1995 prowler 28 foot 5th wheel camper is a Taylor. Newcomb engineering hydralic pump & motor that runs the slide out. I understand that this company is out of bus. Iam having problems with this unit. there is no overide to operate the slide. what is fleetwood doing to fix these older units?
12/23/2011
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is ***** ***** perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Unfortunately..............nothing. What is the problem you are having? Does the motor come on or not? Get back to me and I can assist you more on this issue.
At first I had to jump the battery to get it to work, ok low battery. That only worked a couple of times. then i could cross the selanoid and the motor would run. that only worked a few times.then i could tap on the motor as i was crossing the selanoid it would work. now i cant get it to do anything.
The first thing on any of these is to have both batteries in good shape. And if you only have a single battery this is going to be an issue. These slide motors take a lot of amperage and you need two 27 series batteries OR two 6 VDC golf cart batteries in series to make one 12 VDC "unit" here. Once you have that resolved then we can find out if there is a real problem with this. Also be sure that all the connections are clean and tight. Clean the ground lead to the chassis on the motor and the batteries good. Most any place that sells batteries can load test yours and check them for shorted cells. These are all issues that can cause erratic pump performance. Try to keep the trailer plugged into shore power whenever you operate the slide as this helps. We can test the performance of the converter as well to be sure it is functioning properly. Please get back to me once you get this done and we can go from there as follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.
This unit only came with one battery, but it is old, I will replace it and see if it helps I did jump it and at first it worked. you say it takes two batteries. could the brushes be bad in the motor?
The reason it came with just one battery is the fact that the dealer was too cheap to put in two. Happens all the time. Until we get the batteries resolved we can't really go further other than you cleaning the cables and connections as I outlined before. Have your battery load tested and checked for shorted cells. If it tests out good then just add another. Get back to me and I can assist you with the hookup. And yes, the brushes can be bad.........pretty unusual though. Start with the power source and the ground leads and we can go from there is needed.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I am pleased with you help. If I accept your answer can I contact you for further help or should I not accept at this time Thank You Dennis Warner MY email is *****@******.***

all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit or number of them. Bookmark this and you can come back to it any time. R.J.

Thanks for the nice bonus.........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can get you an immediate answer and save you a bunch of $$$ as well. Have a great Holiday Season and be safe! R.J.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification