RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2006 fleetwood: tested fine..volt meter..repair shop

Customer Question
We have a 2006 fleetwood...
We have a 2006 fleetwood southwind with a microwave that tripped the breaker. The microwave tested fine, but the outlet did not- so we put a new breaker for the microwave but then found after biting a volt meter the breaker was getting 110 power; hence the new breaker did not work. What else can we try, or do we send to a repair shop? It just got a new motherboard, battery charger, and relay due to putting the house batteries in wrong. Thanks for your attention to this matter.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
12/18/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This is usually on a GFCI circuit so look for that plug that controls this and try pushing the reset button. If it won't reset unplug the microwave and then try it again. If it resets and then trips when you plug the microwave in you have a short in the microwave. That usually means replacement depending on the brand. If you are unsure about any of this please get back to me. R.J.
When microwave is unplugged the 15 amp breaker still trips. It stays tripped all the time. Even the new breaker it stayed tripped. We plugged the microwave into an extension cord and separate outlet and it worked fine. The GFCI was fine in the bathroom. The AC units work fine. Anything else we can check, or did the RV repair we just picked up from do something, as mentioned in the previous question? Thanks again foryour attention to this problem.
What else is on that breaker? Disconnect any other things one at a time until it doesn't trip. There should be a GFCI in the kitchen area. And plugging the microwave into a standard outlet won't trip it if it has just a very small short...........that is what a GFCI does.
If that goes bad..........you can trip out the breaker. Find out what other outlets (if any) are on that breaker. Get back to me with what you find and we can go from there. R.J.
A dedicated circuit for microwave. Breaker box labels that circuit microwave and it has it's own outlet above the fridge. Other 2 outlets in kitchen are not GFCI. Only one GFCI in coach in bathroom and working fine. Thanks. Anything else?
The problem then is most likely in the plug itself. You will have to take it loose and disconnect it to tell. If this is the style that has the wiring crimped in this happens quite often. One way to tell is that the plug and face plate are all one piece. I replace them with a regular box and duplex receptacle.

Not that it affect this outcome...........but, by code any outlets in the sink area MUST be on a GFCI..........and so it is doubtful that would have escaped inspection.

If the breaker trips when you disconnect the outlet then I would look for some chaffing on the wiring where it leaves the box. Also a bad breaker might be a problem. Even new parts fail sometimes.

Another thing that may come into play here is IF this circuit goes through the inverter. If you reversed the polarity before you might have damaged a board in there and it is shorting out. The wiring diagrams will show this.

If you don't find a problem in those two areas I would look for a J-box under the sink or someplace close that may have a bad connection. You would need to give Fleetwood Customer Service a call at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand get a set of wiring schematics for your coach to tell where that might be. Be prepared to give them the VIN number on your coach. I would pick up a set of plumbing diagrams while you are at it as these are very handy to have.

Let me know what you find...........R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks for the nice bonus............much appreciated! Please get back to me if you need more help with this later. Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can get you an immediate answer and save you some big $$$ as well. Have a great Holiday Season and be safe! R.J.