RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Hi. I have a Coachman Santara 31 Ft. Type C motorhome.

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a Coachman Santara 31 Ft. Type C motorhome. Having problems with the power system in the motorhome. It does not seem to have electrical power when plugged in with the power cord to a 110 outlet. Just started this problem as it has worked fine in the past. Also the Onan generator starts and runs fine but does not seem to be pulling down when put into a load for running furnace or air units. Air unit will not come on where the furnace will. The battery for running the 12v systems, whitch is brand new, does not seem to stay charged anymore when the unit is plugged in to 110 outlet. Going back a week ago, getting the motorhome ready for a weeks outing with the 110 plugged in for the week prior. noticed the lights were dime and 12v battery was at the lowest reading when checking its condition. With unit still plugged in to 110 outlet, started generator thinking it would start charging 12v battery, the lights started to go dimmer to about no lights then generator stopped, still having over a half a tank of gas. The generator at the time of running was under a load and before shutting off, triped its breaker. Then there was a smell of electrical wire burning whitch ending up elliminating the TV. Pulled TV out that is over passengers seat, overhead intertainment center, and checked outlet that checked fine. All the 110 outlets have power with power cable is plugged in outside, but the lights will not work when turned on. All the trip fusses were not tripped, but when I turned them off and back on again the lights worked for 5 to 10 sec. then went out.
Could this be the Automatic Energy Select Switch unit? I do not hear the little bussing noise I use to hear, not knowing for sure what it was at the time. Thinking it was something charging the 12v battery.
Hope I gave enough of the syptoms to be able to trouble shoot the problem.

Thanks

Jim
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
11/1/2011
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 11 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

Sounds like the power converter or inverter is the issue.... Let me ask when you are driving down the road are you able to have AC power? The microwave would be working along with the other AC items, this will tell me if you have an inverter.

Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert: The cab AC works fine running down the road but have never run the overhead AC running down the road since owning the motorhome. The microwave only runs with 110 plugged in or gen. running. But nothing works now.

OK

It sounds like the power converter has failed. The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage. The Power converter also charges the battery when you are plugged in. Sometimes 110 is a strain on the system, if you are using a very long extension cord you can have line loss, the cord will got hot and items will struggle to work. The problem is the generator is also not working which brings us back to the power converter. Some power converters are hard wired to the breaker panel and some are stand alones, which means they plug into an outlet. So make sure no breakers are tripped, cycle them and leave them all off but the main and the converter and see what happens. Also check for a tripped GFCI since some converters will plug into an outlet, these are like what you find in a house with a test and reset button on them, they can be anywhere including the outside. Check the power source also make sure it is goos, a polarity checker will tell you if you have a wiring issue, home depot sells them for a few dollars and that will plug into the outlets.

IF you can get me the make and model of the converter I might be able to help you out more with troubleshooting.

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!