RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My RV is plugged in. It keeps tripping the breaker but if I…

Customer Question
My RV is plugged in...
My RV is plugged in. It keeps tripping the breaker but if I flip the breaker on the converter to off everything else is good. What might the cause be.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/28/2011
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi There!!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer...

What power source are you plugging into? IS this a standard household outlet? Also have you tried to shut off all the other breakers BUT the converter?

Thanks, Robert

House - GFI that I have used for years. 15 Amp and I use a "plug" to hook it up to the 30A. I only plug it in to run the fridge and charge the battery before a trip.
Yes I have flipped breakers off and on to narrow it down to the converter breaker.

OK

Can only be a few things, could be the adapter you are using, have seen these go bad, could be the converter is working really hard to charge the batteries and it is to much or you have a shorted out battery. OR it could be the converter.

So I would try a new adapter and have the batteries load tested to start, make sure they are in good condition and all the cables are clean and tight. A load test is the best test. Normally using a outlet is OK like you are doing but you will see problems when using a very long extension cord.

IF the batteries are good and the shore cord/adapter are good I would then first get a polarity checker and check the plugs inside the RV to ensure you do not have a wiring issue at the pole, then I would have the converter checked out. Most shops charge just over 1/2 hour to diagnose. Normally it is not the breaker but they also do get weak.

The LP I would get some leak solution for LP and spray everything down on that regulator, make sure it is not a loose line or fitting, the solution will bubble. IF it is in any other area I would replace the valve.

Thank You!!! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!!!

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic