RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Automatic..5-10 seconds, it switches to Segment 4, 5 and 6..ac…

We have a Norcold N821FRT...
We have a Norcold N821FRT refrigerator which has quit operating. When turned on display indicates Automatic and after approx. 5-10 seconds, it switches to Segment 4, 5 and 6 bars.
Also, if AC or Gas is selected in 5-10 sec. it does the same thing. There is 12 Volts(13.8) DC to the Circuit Board, and 120 Volts (122.5) AC to the Circuit Board.

There is also 12 Volts across F1 and 120 Volts across F3. The block diagram and schematic glued in the rear of the unit leaves alot to be desired, as it shows no continuing connections. I believe the manual states 3 Amp fuses are required although 5's are stated on the Circuit Board and were factory installed.

I do not believe the unit requires burping as I can get minimal cooling with a light bulb at the heat stack., which indicates electrical circuit problem, and not refrigerant cycle. It was mentioned at one site that a problem was resolved by removing the refrigerator, and re-setting the red button on the back of fridge. I have slid the box forward possibly one foot and do not see any sign of a re-set button, so am questioning the accuracy of this thought.

Thank you for any information you may provide.

P.S. Have additional voltage and resistance readings if they would be of value to you.
10/26/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Is the fridge level? Has it been on and working or did you just begin to use it after some time being off? When you say "segments 4, 5 and 6" are you on diagnostic mode? Please get back to me and I can help you sort this out. R.j.

Yes, it is level. The last time we used the RV in late July and early August it was working. We park it at our home with power on, and I noticed it not working sometime late August. We are now getting ready to take another trip, so have not really pursued the problem.

No, the 4, 5 and 6 segments have been coming on when the machine is turned on and placed in either Automatic, Gas or A/C mode. That single segment stays on for 5-10 seconds and riverts to 4, 5, 6. We did go into Diagnostics and got an indication of High DC voltage, This could have happened as the converter did go bad and was only doing approx. 3 amp battery charge mode. When it failed there could have been a high DC voltage spike. At present, maximum DC voltage with converter is 13.8 Volts +/- and 13.1, 13.2 Volts on battery only (new battery).

As previously stated, at Fuse F1 DC voltage is present, at F3 AC voltage is present. When turning unit on, and putting in either mode there is no voltage to gas selinoid, ignitor or A/C heater.

It is a -2 unit so there is no F2 or DC heater relay.

When unit is turned on, there is an audible relay click. (does not necessarily mean electrical contact) I cannot do any other voltage or resistance checks on circuit board as schematic does not show relay internal wiring.

Go HERE for the Service Manual they use for this model. I would disconnect the leads to the board AFTER you turn it off and disconnect the AC cord and reconnect them including the plug to the optical. Sometimes you get a small bit of surface corrosion when you live in a moist climate. On the displayed fault codes see if the last one if the one you have. This is a "No Cool" fault and the control board has to be reset manually. See that instruction in the manual. If you have the newer 628661 board then let me know as this needs a different reset. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification