RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2007 Mountaineer: fifth wheel..Everything worked ok...camper…

Customer Question
Got our 2007 Mountaineer 342...
Got our 2007 Mountaineer 342 fifth wheel out on Sunday to use next week. Everything worked OK. Today, when we want to load our supplies into the camper, we have limited power. The lights that work off battery and electric look dim. The ceiling fan works and the AC only light works, however, the air conditioner will not start. The TV turns on. It is almost like we are on low voltage. My husband has found we have plenty of voltage coming into the trailer. He thinks the converter box may have shorted out. Where is the converter box?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
10/8/2011
RV Mechanic: Steve F., RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Steve F.
Steve F., RVIA Certification

Yes, it certainly sounds like the converter is not outputting 12V and the coach is therefore running off your batteries, which are clearly low.

Your coach likely has the circuit and fuse panel separate from the converter. Some coaches have an integrated converter and fuse/breaker box, but yours is likely separate.

Before you go looking for the converter, check your circuit breakers and GFCI outlets to make sure nothing is tripped.

The converter AC input will be protected by a circuit breaker or GFCI, and the 12V output will be protected by fuses mounted directly on the converter module. Your converter should be located behind the breaker panel, which you will have to remove from the trailer wall in order to access it. Sometimes the converter is located behind the interior walls of the outside storage compartment, but the easiest thing to do is just dig around until you find it. So, the first thing I would do is unscrew the breaker panel from the wall of the trailer and look behind there to see if you can see a silver box. The converter will have an AC power line going into it and two 8 or 10 gauge 12V wires going out of it feeding the 12V system.

If the converter is not behind the wall by the breaker panel, remove the interior backing wall of the front storage panel and see if it's back there.

Chances are that the fuses are blown on the converter. There should be two 30 or 40A fuses mounted right on the converter that may be blown.