RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1995 fleetwood: travel trailer..my camper ,hadnt been..20 amp…

I have a 1995 fleetwood...
I have a 1995 fleetwood prowler travel trailer. A couple weeks ago when I went up to my camper ,hadn't been there in a month, had no power found the 20 amp general purpose breaker tripped. Re-set the breaker. Ok, was in the storage compartment in the slide out, & got zapped. Later on the gfci in the bathroom tripped & wouldn't re-set. pulled out the plug to inspect looked ok. Then I noticed had no power in the kitchen or slide out outlets. pulled out the plug again & disconnected the load side & connected the load wires to the line side,have power to outlets but checked camper skin with volt meter to ground had 113 volts skin to ground. checked hot & neutral side of wire to ground with ohm meter reading ohms on hot lead, hence short circut. Left the load line off so I have power in the bathroom. Have no problem in the 2 bedrooms. Looking for a diagram as to how they run the circuts from the bathroom to the other circuts
10/2/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

No diagrams are going to be available I'm afraid..........we have to just track these down the hard way..........one at a time. Check the cord and power center first. The move to that breaker that was tripped. Once you know the incoming power and power center is o.k. then you can track this down by eliminating one circuit at a time. The converter is always suspect as this can happen when it shorts out. Get back to me if you need more on this as follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Yes, it can.............and always a good place to start checking. I suspect this has a Magnetek Power Center in it that looks like this one HERE. If not, let me know. And we can work off this posting as this is a follow up. And check the plug for signs of heat at the prongs. R.J.
yes it does,had it out of the wall to replace the power cord as per a supposed rv tech. ohms checked the old power cord & found no faults. problem seems to be in the load line from the gfci. don't know where it goes from there. Don't want to start ripping apart walls as the camping season is coming to a close. Do have knowledge about 110 & 12 volts have been an auto tech for 42 yrs
So you replaced the power cord? Be sure that the white lead which is the neutral and the green lead which is the ground don't come into contact with one another. Does the GFCI work off the breaker that was tripped? What is on that circuit? If the fridge is on that one unplug it and try it again. R.J.
yes it does. The a/c microwave & water heater have seperate breakers.As I said earlier I disconnected the load line from the gfci in bathroom fridge still works as does the battery charger only circuts affected are kitchen,slide out & outside outlets . front & rear bedrooms still have power as does the gfci in bathroom with load line disconnected
And you still have a hot skin? What else is on the GFCI line from the bathroom?
no. With the load line disconnected no more hot skin, but if I hook up the load line to the load side of gfci it trips. If I hook directly to the line side skin is hot. Problem is I don't know which plug load side feeds next in line and so on &so on
With it disconnected check each plug and find the ones that are off as well. Then once you find out what else is on this you can start tracking it down. There are usually at least two other plugs on a GFCI outlet. R.J.
I had a feeling I was going to have to do it the old fashioned way.Just wish I knew how they routed the wires through the walls & ceiling.
Usually no 120 VAC in the ceiling..............usually goes through the wall. Be sure that you don't have an outside outlet on this circuit as that would be a prime candidate where the wire comes through the tin. R.J.
Do have an outlet outside in screen room, pulled outlet out to inspect looked ok ,got frustrated & went home. Was told that 120 vac crossed over through the roof rafters & down walls because it was illegal to run them under the floor
They don't run them under the floor, but not often in the ceiling and then they put a plate over them to protect them. Any work done on the roof lately? Isolate the other plugs first so you can have a better idea of the lines.
Thank you, you have been very helpful. Guess I'll just close it up & deal with it next season Thanks again John
You are welcome, John..............these things can be frustrating. R.J.

Your right it sucks. Being an auto mechanic I'm used to working with schematics. Maybe the RV industry should do the same. Once again Thank You.

Fleetwood's story is that they got rid of all those when they quit the towable business. Unless you just happen to find a dealer that sold them schematics are rare to find. R.J
That bit of info was very helpful. I am the second owner of my 1995 prowler 35 ft. trailer & have all the original paper work form Campers Inn of N.H. think I will just give them a call tomorrow.
That might work............let me know how it goes. R.J.