RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

tank..battery compartment..i smelled what I think are battery fumes…

Customer Question
Will house battery fumes set...
Will house battery fumes set off the propane gas detector? Our gas detector has been going off, but the propane is turned off at the tank (no appliances running on propane). When I opened the outside battery compartment< i smelled what I think are battery fumes. My house batteries were all replaced about 6 months ago.
After driving home and shutting RV down for storage, there is now no evidence of fumes of any kind.
Please advise what I should do before taking RV on road trip again...
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
9/26/2011
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 11 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael hi, one of the things to consider is that as the detectors are not that sofisticated, low voltage will set them off, so the first thing we want to do is ck the voltage with your vom at the detector..........please supply me with that information, and the model of the unit (detector) thank you
Where do I put the vom at the detector to check the voltage? Do I need to remove cover of detector to get to wires? I'm pretty novice at this sort of thing...
I will say that yesterday we did indeed have a strong gas smell in the coach while driving. Nothing today.
thank you, what do you believe was the source of the 'smell' ? And you will need to remove the monitor from the wall and ck at the wires going to it, its 12 volts, so no worries. Tell me if there are 2 wires or three.................Michael
It is a 3 wire detector. The voltage measeure 16 at the outside red and 25 at the middle red. It is a CCI Controls detector .... Model No. 7773.0 .... Mfg. Date Mar 19 2007 .... Serial No:X 087926
Thanks you will have on the three wires, one ground, one to battery one (engine) the other is to battery two (house) the readings are somewhat erronious, so here is a schematic to the unit, Click here