RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

once again working on this Allegro RV...come on with the thermostat.

I am once again working...
I am once again working on this Allegro RV. The fernace for the inside of the rv will not work. It will come on with the thermostat. But after running a few seconds without getting hot at all it will kick back off. I beleave the system is propane.
I understand nothing about these heating systems in these rv's. But I am willing to try to learn. That is with I little (or a lot) of help from you all. You were very good to work with on fixing the rv generator so I thought I would ask you first. But I completely understand if you must send the concern to different department. Thank you!!
9/26/2011
RV Mechanic: gene, RV Mechanic replied 11 years ago
gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Sounds like a limit switch?
What is the make and model of the furnace so I can pull us a manual?

i removed the cover outside. i found the model # XXXXX be (s f - 35 )

the serial# XXXXX /p>

but i cannot find the make of the furnace just yet.

it will come on. the blower will start and the furnace will light. then just as starts to get hot it kicks off and on over and again.

is there a way i can test this limit switch u are talking about. also i am so unfimilure with these furnaces that i don't even know what a limit switch is. but i am pretty sure i could find it if u tell me how. thank you!!
This is a suburban heater,the limit switch will be in the coach behind the cover,it will have two wires going to it,you can turn on the heater and check for 12 volts going to the switch and out of it with a 12 volt test light or multi meter,or simply disconnect the two wires and jump them together,turn on the heater and if it lights the limit is bad,replace it.Test this and let me know,we will go from here.

thank you !! i will try this as soon as possible. may take a day or so before i can get back on it. i hope this will not be an inconvinence to you.

I'll be on and off,check the limit behind the inside cover,common problem,jump across the terminals will tell you if its bad.
i am so sorry i haven't gotten back with you. my boss drives the rv to revival. so when i asked the question i was trying to fix before he left. but i was unable to do so. but now he is back. so Gods will this concern will be the first thing i address this morning. i hope this hasn't caused any problem for you. thank you so much. ( i will tell you what i find jumpering those terminals)
No problem,let me know?
is this the switch you are talking about? if so when i jumper it together it does not change anything. it still kicks on and begins to heat then the fire shuts off and the blower runs. it cycles on and off.graphic
That is the sail switch,if the burner is lighting and going out after a few seconds, the board may not be sensing the flame and shutting down,you can remove the board and have it tested at your local RV shop,normally at no charge,another thing to check is the gas pressure?A quick way to check this is to light all four burners on the stove top on high,turn the heater on and watch the flames on the stove,if they fade down low when the heater lights then it is a LP pressure issue,the LP regulator is not supplying enough gas pressure to keep the heater lite.Replace the LP regulator on the tank,you also need to check the battery voltage to the heater,anything under 11.5 volts things start not working properly,at 10.5 volts the gas valve won"t stay open.Check these things and let me know.
gene
gene, RV Mechanic

hello gene! I am working in this furnace again. It will not come on. When I command it on at the thermostat it makes a clicking noise n the unit in the ceiling. Also it makes a clicking noise at the control board inside the compartment where the blower is. But it doesn't come on and back off. It doesn't do anything but click. Also I noticed it has a red blinking on the control board. After it sets for a while with the thermostat commanding it on.