RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2001 monaco: i check breakers and can not locate gfi plug…

Customer Question
i have a 2001 monaco...
i have a 2001 monaco windsor and the kitchen receptables do not work. i check breakers and can not locate gfi plug
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: RV
9/25/2011
RV Mechanic: Nick, RVIA Certification replied 10 years ago
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
hi
the GFCI is usually in the bathroom, near the bathroom sink.
however some have more than 1. depending on the layout of outlets. usually if there is another, it is located either towards the front, often an outlet located on or near the dash, or there is an outside outlet in one of the compartments which will be GFCI. if not, then they are all run off the bathroom one.
if you find the gfci and it isn't tripped, it doesn't mean it isn't bad. it is very common for them to fail internally and although the main outlet works, it doesn't send power out to the others. testing requires remove the outlet and using a multimeter to check voltage leaving the outlet.
if you find the gfci is ok, there may be a junction box located under the kitchen cabinets. usually not visible without removing draws or panels in cabinets. its possible a connection has failed in there.
if you have a kitchen slideroom, then there should be a junction box, usually located under a cabinet, attached to the floor, on the backside of the slideroom. or it may be outside in a compartment, again, usually on the backside of the slide, but you should be able to see where the wiring goes into the room when its out, and the junction box will be close to there. often these can get issues, since the room is moving.
most likely though it is the GFCI at fault. although not very common, i have seen them put the gfci for kitchen in the refrigerator cabinet. remove the access cover outside and see where the fridge plugs in. very rare but not unheard of so worth checking.
check the places i suggested and let me know if you don't find it.
:nick:
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification