Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Suburban Model SW6DE Direct vent Gas water heater

I have a Suburban Model SW6DE Direct vent Gas water heater in my 2010 Surveyor Trailer.
The unit will not start. I turn the switch on the inside to on and the reset button is not turning red. I opened the unit on the outside of trailer and the burner is not lighting and I do not smell gas. It is not making that clicking sound either.

Last nite I switched over to another propane tank because first one was empty. Unit was working prior to me switching tanks. I did not turn off the unit inside before I switched tanks.

I have pushed the reset button on the unit. I also noticed there was another on/off switch in the outside of trailer with the unit that was turned to off.
I switched that to on and tried to start unit - nothing
I switched it back to off - nothing.

Other gas appliances in trailer are working.
Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 years ago.
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

The other switch out on the unit is for the AC mode. The first thing to check is the fuse in the power center. That controls the power to the switch. If you have a 12 VDC test light this is pretty easy to track down. Those are about $5 at most automotive or hardware stores. Go HERE for a copy of the Service Manual which covers this model. I would print out a copy or at least Bookmark this so you can come right back to it.

If you have a good fuse then we can track the power down to see where it isn't getting through. Follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

should ac switch be on or off?

I will check fuses and get back with you...if I do not respond with answers back to you within next 30 Min--I will get answers tomorrow a.m. Its now 10:53.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 years ago.
Not a problem..........no hurry. If you want to use the water heater on AC mode instead of LP mode you leave it on. You can use both. I will watch for your post. R.J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I didn't have the thing to check the fuses with, but I checked each fuse by interchanging with one I knew was good/and also the lites that went out when I pulled a fuse.

Fuses Good

Expert:  Randall replied 6 years ago.
O.K.............you want to find out if you have power to the unit on the t-stat and ECO. See the manual for how you do this. Do the ones for the DC side. R.J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I read in the manual where it says reset ECO if tripped.

Could not find any thing in the manual that told me what the ECO is or where the ECO is located.

What do you mean by t-stat? I'm not an expert remember, that is why I am asking you.

Thank you for info on ac switch. didn't even know the water heater would work on AC. We at least have hot water.

But still need the gas part fixed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Randall replied 6 years ago.
Look at the manual like I gave you. There is a black rubber covering over the thermostat and ECO. Open the outside inspection cover and it is in the upper left hand corner. Push in on the two circles. That resets them. If you have a 12 VDC test light you can see if the power is getting to the control board. Or in and out of the switch. The red light on the switch tells you that the board is going into ignition and doesn't tell you there is power thru the switch. I would unplug the board and check the connections. Sometimes in a damp climate there can be some light surface corrosion buildup that interferes with the current transfer. Just taking a connection off and putting it back on is usually adequate to clean it off. Check those things and get back to me. R.J.