RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

5th wheel that I will be pulling 1,700 miles..parked..volt..AC…

The Ref went out in...
The Ref went out in my Parents 5th wheel that I will be pulling 1,700 miles to my house in WA. The Wife and I plan to have one last camping adventure along the way... once we get home the unit will be parked and used as a guest unit... so we don't want to spend $1000 for a new ref.

Can I put a small 120 volt AC Ref in it's place and run it off a 200 amp power inverter when on the road or will that be too hard on the 5th wheels battery & truck battery? (I will switch to campground 120 AC when in a campground).
9/10/2011
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 11 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

A 200 amp inverter is an extremely large inverter - large enough to run an entire house.

Did you actually mean a 200 WATT inverter?

If so, a 200W inverter will not be large enough to run even a small refrigerator.

What you would need to do would be to find out the power requirements of what ever refrigerator you are thinking of getting, and size the inverter to it.

With a refrigerator, it is critical that you look at the start up power, not the running power.

If the refrigerator draws, say, 7A running, it can easily draw up to about 15A starting, so you would need an inverter with the surge capacity to match.

The next thing you would need to do is to check your battery bank capacity, and weigh it against how long you think you would need to go between charges.

If the inverter draws, say, 20A, and your battery has a capacity of 160 amp-hours, you would only get about 8 hours of running off a fully charged battery - and that is assuming the battery is in top condition.

2 batteries in this situation would be highly recommended.

The alternator in your truck should have no problem keeping up with a 20 amp draw.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets