RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

power has failed on our power awning, how do we manually retract it

Customer Question
The power has failed on...
The power has failed on our power awning, how do we manually retract it
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
9/5/2011
RV Mechanic: Nick, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification
is it a dometic power awning? and by power failed, does it just not work or have you confirmed no power to the motor?
No power to the motor. Tried following the instructions to roll it up manually. It said to remove screw on the top right and it should roll in. But its not working. Exactly which screw do we take out?
it is in the very top of the motor housing. at the very tip of the arm. not the screw that secures the motor to the arm, it should be in the housing itself.
you can also manually retract it with a battery if you have a 12v battery. cordless drill battery can work or jumper cables from a car or rv battery. if you follow the wire from the motor, it should go to a small black connector. unplug this and then hook 12v + and - to each wire on the motor and you can run the motor. its a little tricky though as you have to be able to follow the motor all the way closed, on site this can be tricky.
I'm trying to find a good picture of the screw. i know the instructions are not very clear.
There are only two screws up there and we tried them both, neither has caused it to roll
hmmm.. that is unusual. usually it will want to drag you up with it as soon as you remove the screw.
can you turn the awning, by hand, once the screw is removed?
no
if the awning wont even turn by hand with that screw removed, then only other thing you can do, is apply power directly to the motor. make sure screw is back in first. see if that will make the motor turn. it could be the motor itself has had an internal failure and something has jammed up.
those are the only 2 ways to retract the awning. the other end is under spring tension, if you remove the motor, it will fly up and probably damage the side of the coach.
Thanks for your help. We have found a repair guy to come and help us.
ok. good luck. let me know if need further assistance.
Nick
Nick
Nick, RVIA Certification