RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

probe: knock..trailer fuse box and get a reading of 124 volts…

Customer Question
I plugged in the power...
I plugged in the power cord for our 97 Jayco and it srarted to knock out the circuit breakers on the power pole (20 amp). I switched to the inside the garage (20 amp outlet) and it took out the ground fault and the circuit breaker. It stayed on for two or three minutes - long enough to put a amp probe on the black wire inside the trailer fuse box and get a reading of 124 volts. I switched extension cords and three pronged adapters So what do I try next. Please help
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
8/30/2011
RV Mechanic: RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC replied 11 years ago
RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC

RIP ROBERT :

Hi; You need to get a plug in circuit tester, to test the plugs you are plugging the extension cord into, then plug the tester in the the extension cord. This will make sure that there is no problem up to where the coach plugs in.

Customer:

Switching out extension cords and getting a reading off the circuit breaker box inside the trailer of 124 volts indicates I should test the extension cords? The amp probe showed 124 volts at the end of the extension with the adapter plugged in. My wife successfully vacuumed the trailer using the same extension cord when I gave up ! Originally the vacuum had run for about a minute when plugged into the camper's out let . After resetting the circuit breakers inside the camper and outside the camper -nothing even 12 volt system. If I had hair---. So I switched power sources into the shed and got the reading of 124 volts from the trailers fuse box, to my wife I claimed success. Again the vacuum ran for about a minute. There is a new 12 volt battery (used over 4th of July successfully, however currently shows almost no voltage). When we started the 12 volt stuff was all off.

RIP ROBERT :

Hi; I can't tell you why the voltage is reading 124, unless your meter is faultily. It doesn't matter if the vacuum worked or anything else, you need to test the cord and out let with a circuit tester.... To make sure that ground and 110 wires are in the right order...

RIP ROBERT
RIP ROBERT, R.V. TECH & MECHANIC