RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

3670 RL: rv dealership..trip..same thing..extended warranty…

Customer Question
we purchased a 2008 Heartland...
we purchased a 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3670 RL in October 2010 from an individual. at the time of purchase we had an rv dealership in TN install a second AC in the bedroom.....we did not use either AC until February/March when we were in FL on a mission trip. The AC in bedroom works great from first day....the original AC in main living/kitchen area did not.....it ran continually....it never got below 80 plus in that area....it continually would freeze up....an RV tech came and checked it out and said to just turn it off and let it thaw out which we did continually.....we went on vacation in July and it did the same thing again.....we carried RV back to rv dealer in TN last week and they said the AC was bad and replaced it and submitted bill to Good Sam extended warranty plan. We left this past TH for AR and TH and FR the new AC worked great.....70 degrees....turned off.....first time this rv has ever been perfect.....we traveled to MO yesterday and set up for the next 3 weeks for another mission trip.....the AC worked great yesterday and in fact last night we did not even run the bedroom ac and turned the main unit on low.....this morning it was working fine when we left for church at 10 am CST and we left the bedroom unit off.....the main AC unit on 70 and on low.....when we returned around 3 pm CST the new unit was running continually and it was 90 degrees in the RV....we checked the fuses and the breakers and it was all OK....checked the unit area in the ceiling and it was frozen over with a thick coat of ice.....we thought it was the OLD AC causing it to freeze up and now here we are with a NEW AC only a few days old and it is doing it again.....we need advice.....it is hot here.....what are we doing wrong.....should this be happening with a new AC only days old?.....if NO, what is the problem?......what do we need to do to correct this because we are in the middle of no where......thanks
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
8/28/2011
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 11 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael hi the new air conditiner is equipped with an 'anti' freeze device, and it is a probe which is placed in the evaporator, and a wire leading to the electronics to shut off the compressor if it ices up............I want you to ck and see if the probe has fallen out of the evaporator,,,,,,,,,take down the ceiling assy, and look into the evaporator....................look at page 8 of this manual and it will show you what to look for click here

we do not on page 8 see any mention of an evaporator....is this the correct page? what does the probe look like? what size/dimensions approximately?

we have checked the cover we removed and there was no part which had fallen down on the top/inside of the cover.....we have checked with our hands by 'feeling' to see if there was a sensor which had fallen down on to any of the metal casing/housing? and did NOT find a sensor......we have looked and still cannot determine what the sensor looks like......the ice is about 2/3 evaporated.....what would you recommend we do when we turn it back on? what settings? again, we are still unsure what the sensor looks like and where it is located even after reading.....we did go to page 8 again and reread it again and went to section 6 and read the info about the sensor but we are still not able to determine anything about the sensor.....still need assistance....thanks
Sorry its # 8 page 12