RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Winnebago..ran fine..RV..the road, it would run for about 10 minutes…

Customer Question
I have a 1975 Winnebago...
I have a 1975 Winnebago Indian that I am restoring and upgrading. The onboard Onan generator started and ran fine when I purchased the RV (about a year ago), however, when running the generator "on the road", it would run for about 10 minutes, then shut down. Now when I start the generator, I have to hold the priming switch down to keep it running. If I let go of the start switch, the generator quits running. I changed out the circuit board ($260) with no improvement. I am debating the wisdom of changing out the entire generator as I now have a microwave, an electric refrigerator and a slightly larger A/C roof unit installed and this generator is only 20 Amps. Any suggestions on the current problem and/or cost of a completely new unit that would work in this application? Thanks. Jay
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
8/26/2011
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 11 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

It is a model 500 cck 3CR/120 16R Serial Number XXXXXXXXXX

120/240 V, 5.0 KVA 5KW 20.8 amps, 60hz

The most common cause of the set shutting down when you release the start button, is that the set is no longer producing any electricity.

The CCK was one of the stouter sets that Onan has built, but they are getting very old.

Some parts are no longer available, some are getting low in quantity and high in price, while others are still readily available.

The set is typically very reliable, albeit a major pain to troubleshoot.

IN MY OPINION ONLY - I would personally be looking to upgrade to little more modern set, with all of the upgrades you have on your coach.

A 13,500 Btu A/C requires 20 amps by itself.

The microwave will require between 10 and 15.

The refrigerator I have no idea - it depends on the size, age, and efficiency rating.

The problem with your set may be as simple as a bad oil pressure switch or dirty brushes, or it may be as severe as a shorted stator, which is no longer available for your set.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets