RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Wildcat: kitchen the switch for the water heater was accidentally left…

Customer Question
I have a 2033 27'...
I have a 2033 27' Forest River Wildcat. My problem if it is a problem is this. In the kitchen the switch for the water heater was accidentally left on for three weeks. The water had been turned off but there was electricity to the trailer and the LP tank was left open. Three weeks later when this was found, the LP tank was empty and electricity still on. Now here is the problem when the water was turn on to the trailer and the second LP tank was turned on the LP warning alarm went off. I turned the LP gas off and after ten - fifteen minutes the alarm stopped. I left the LP off for 24 hours then turn it back on, no alarm sounded. I then turned the water heater on, no alarm sounded and there was hot water. So should I have this checked out, if so what should be checked, or does the switch to the water heater have an automatic shut off that had kicked in.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
8/21/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

I think you are fine..............the LP detector goes off when the batteries get low. And when a tank gets low or out of LP some of the ethyl mercaptan which is the odorant in the LP can be stronger. Try it again with a fresh tank and you want both valves open on both tanks all the way when you are on LP. See if you get an alarm. Be sure the batteries are fully charged and full of water. Get back to me if you have any more alarms or problems with the water heater. Try to remember to turn it off when you aren't using it. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification