RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Montana: an Onan/Cummins propane..restart..indicator..regulator…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Keystone...
I have a 2009 Keystone Montana 5th wheel with an Onan/Cummins propane 5500 watt generator installed. The problem I'm having is that after the generator runs for a few hours and I shut it off and then try to restart it later, it runs for about 5 seconds and stops. The indicator on the Marshall 605 H regulator was green (full tank) when the generator was running, but after the problem surfaced, the indicator shoiws red and no propane is flow to any of the other appliances (water heater, range or refrigerator). Both propane tanks are full, so I'm at a loss as to the problem. The error code on the generator is 36 which means low fuel. I've had the regulator replaced twice, but the problem keeps happening. Any help getting to the root cause of the problem would be greatly appreciated. The RV service people have no clue.

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
8/15/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This sounds like a regulator at the tanks is failing. Take it into a shop to be tested or maybe it just needs adjustment. This is the usual cause. Be sure you keep both tank valves all the way on when you are using LP. Get back to me if this doesn't resolve this issue for you. R.J.

The regulator has been replaced twice before and failed in the same manner. In each situation both tank valves are always "on". It seemks unlikely that the regulators would continue to fail. I wonder if the regulator is too small to flow the amount of propane needed for the generator, water heater and stove. The regulator is a Marshall 605H.

Also, I did some internet research and I see that there's an adjustment screw on the tank valve. I was unable to find any directions on how to adjust this screw for more flow. Maybe it needs to be adjusted to allow more gas to flow...Could this be the problem?

The tank regulator should be a dual stage auto change over model which is a style 254. It looks like this one HERE. This has to be adjusted with a manometer. Did the other ones go bad or were they just out of adjustment? I am wondering if you have the wrong one. If you have this one HERE it is not the correct regulator.
R.J.This one HERE is the wrong one............

The trailer has a dual stage auto change over regulator, but it's a Marshall model 605H, not the 254. What is the difference between the two? (There was no picture attached to the "wrong" regulator link...)

I even bought a new tank from Camping World and installed it, but with the same failure problem. I haven't found anyone who knows how to adjust the regulators on the tank, including Camping World, so I'm at a total loss here.

The 605H is a single stage regulator...........the regulator can be adjusted by most shops using a manometer. I think you just need to get the correct parts on there. There should be a single stage regulator on the driver's side tank...........which is a 10 psi model. Then the passenger's side has the 254 regulator in there. R.J.

I'll verify the part numbers for each regulator and get back to you. But here's what I remember:

- Driver's side regulator: 605 H

- Passenger side: Not sure - I'll check and get back to you, but it's much smaller than the 605 H and is red in color.

Usually it is the other way around on those. The red one is a 10# single stage on the driver's side and the 254 is on the passenger side.........Let me know what you find. R.J.

I checked the model number on the large two stage regulator and it's a 250 with automatic tank change over. The red regulator on the passenger side is rated at 18 #, but I can't read the model number. When I went to the trailer last night, I checked the hoses from the tanks to the regulator and they both have the ball check valves. Could the hoses with the ball check valve be the problem where they're shutting off when the generator suddenly demands much more fuel?

Also, I tried starting the generator last night (regulator indicator was green) and it ran for about 15 seconds and then shut off. The indicator then went red again. It seems to go back to green after a few hours, but the generator still won't run.

I may be.............those hoses are designed to check closed when they sense too much LP being used as a precaution. Once it runs out it is starved for fuel back there and takes some times to re-equalize the pressure. I think I would run this by Keystone and see what they have to report. If this was me I would rig up a bypass of some sort on this for the generator so that can't happen. I do think you are on top of this..........unless the regulator is bad..........then that will act that way. Take it in for testing. R.J.