RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Prefectly: motor home..the electrical systems began to malfunction…

I have a 1999 Class...
I have a 1999 Class A motorhome (Rexhall RexAir) that has worked almost prefectly for 90,000+ miles. This last week end the electrical systems began to malfunction. Various systems throughout the motorhome began to work intermittenly.

For example, the power panel to the jacks only worked part of the time,
the system status panel lights would not come on,
the fan and lights in the bathroom didn't work, then did work, then didn't,
the generator started right up, then it wouldn't even crank.

The DC voltage dropped suddenly from fully charged to nothing but after we started the engine the DC power jumped back up to fully charged. This happened twice over a period of about 30 minutes.

The refrigerator worked okay when the DC power level was up but not when it dropped suddenly to low voltage, and now the frig will not turn on even when the RV is plugged into shore power or with the generator turned on.

Additionally, the main 120 v circuit breakers do not interrupt power to the various appliances when the circuit breaker is shut off, such as the coffee maker and the microwave. I have flipped those circuit breakers, with the appliance on and the RV plugged into shore power and the appliance continues to work.

This week end we were plugged into shore power and everything seemed to work correctly. After we unplugged the external power source we began to expereince all these system failures.

My troubleshooting consists of the following activities. I have tried unplugging the RV, and shutting down all the power sources from the chassy and the house batteries via the storage disconnect buttons. I waited several minutes, then turned them back on to see if I could "reboot" the electrical system.

After the "reboot" the jack power panel that wasn't working, is working now,
but the refrigerator that was working via all power systems isn't working at all on any power supply.
The fan that was working, isn't working and the other fan that wasn't working still isn't.

I have checked all the circuit breakers, and the fuses both in the electrical panel and in the fans, and have tested and reset the outlet reset button.

I've ruled out the converter, because many of the 12 volt systems still work.

Is there a way to reset the entire electrical system? Or do you have another idea?
8/8/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

This sounds like some problems with the batteries or the cables and connections for them.
About 80% of the problems we see like this are battery related. Have them load tested and checked for shorted cells. Clean or replace any cables that have heavy corrosion between the wiring and the terminal end. Be sure you pay attention to the battery orientation and take a photo of the cables so you get them back the same way. Don't forget to do the ground lead to the chassis. Install a new star washer between the terminal end and the chassis after you clean off a spot on the frame with some sandpaper. Please get back to me if you need more help with this. R.J.

Randall, I did do a quick visual inspection of the batteries, when I was doing the trouble shooting and did not see any corrosion or loose connections.

I'm curious how bad batteries would effect the function of the refrigerator when the RV is plugged into shore power or when the generator is on. I can't get the frig to come on under any circumstance and the lights and fan also do not function on shore power.

Do you still think it's a battery/cable issue?

Yes............and all the appliances including the A/Cs work off a 12 VDC control board. No 12 VDC and they won't work. This "screams" batteries............best test them. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Okay, that makes sense. I'll give it a try and let you know.
O.K..............get back to me if you still have issues and we can do some testing. Follow ups are included in our fee. R.j.