RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2004 Forest: motor home..air conditioner..cool..the RV that we…

Customer Question
We have a 2004 Forest...
We have a 2004 Forest River Sunseeker motorhome. This weekend when we tried to use the air conditioner the air was barely cool. It was so warm in the RV that we left today.

Two weeks ago it worked fine. It has always cooled nicely in the past.

We live in central Missouri and the weather have been in the triple digits this past week and high humidity. We called a RV dealer a mile from the campground and they said it was due to the extreme heat and humidity and it couldn't keep up. We were told that the units are sealed. This is a Dometic heat and AC ceiling unit. The motorhome is ducted.

Question: The answer we received today...is that true? Have there been any recalls on 2004 FR Sunseeker AC units?

It will be in the 80's Thursday through the weekend here this coming week. We will go to the campground and see if the AC cools.

Any suggestions?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
8/7/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

That is basically true..............although there can be some things that you can control that will help in this. Be sure that the air filter is clean. Dirty filters make the A/C work harder.

Keep all other AC uses to a bar minimum during the heat of the day. Run the fridge on LP mode and the water heater on LP mode. Keep all the lights and other uses off as much as possible. If you can get a Voltage Minder by Electra Check you can plug it in and it monitors the voltage available and gives an alarm when the voltage drops to a dangerous level that might damage your A/C. Low voltage can burn up the unit. Shade the A/C if you can. The higher the ambient heat at the roof and A/C makes it draw lots more amperage.

No recalls on this A/C unit...............

Check those things and get back to me if you have any more problems. Most times once or twice on this won't damage any of the components. Also make sure your batteries are in good shape and full of water. Low DC voltage to the control board in this A/C can cause this as well.

Hope this helps...........get back to me if you need more. Follow ups are included in our fee. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thank you for the nice bonus............much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can get you an immediate answer and save you a bunch of $$$ as well. Please come back again if you have another issue "down the road" and be safe! R.J.