RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Mount..AC on our 2004 Keyston Sprinter fifth wheel..few minutes…

Customer Question
Our 15000 BTU roof mount...
Our 15000 BTU roof mount AC on our 2004 Keyston Sprinter fifth wheel keeps kicking out the Ac breaker OR the main breaker OR sometimes both. It does this if overloaded, understandable, but now nothing is on except the refrig., ceiling fan and small table fan we have on the floor in front of the breaker box as it seems to get hot to the touch. This morning we turned off the AC and reset the breaker(s) and turned the AC back on and it runs for a few minutes then does it again. This has happen about 6-8 times in the last 2 hours but now seems to be working. Also, sometimes the condenser doesn't kick in unless we turn things off and back on several times. It has been in the 90's this week with the similar problem but now it's in the low 70's and doing the same thing. Is the cause in our trailer, wiring, converter, termastat . I'm pretty sure the converter is a 55 amp . The trailer is 30 amp. The trailer park power box is rated 30/50 amp and is fairly new. We don't know what to do or who to call as we are permanently parked in a rv park so need someone who will do the repair on site. Thanks for the help in advance/
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
7/24/2011
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 11 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael, it sounds as if you have the power back on, and thats a good place to start....................so lets look at the airconditioner,,,,,,,,,,,1) does it start the first time, and then blow the breaker when it tries to restart? 2) I need you to look up into the ceiling plentium for the seperation of the condenser, and the evaporator,,,,,,if there is air flow from the output to the input it will 'short cycle' and not allow the compressor to allow head pressure to dissapate, enough for the next start cycle,,,,,,,,,,,,,please get back to me

#1 Yes, starts the first time. Blows the breakerK(s) BEFORE it restarts. It blows the breaker while running and trying cool to the temp selected.

#2 Looked in the ceiling ac cover (plentium?) don't know what you mean "sepereation of the condenser and the evaporator. All that we see is the circuit boad and a hole.

did you get my reply? Will the answer be in my email?
thanks for your reply,,,,,,,,,,,Now we need to ck the amperage draw of the compressor to see if it is the correct range...........you will need am amp probe...........this is the only way to see whats going on with the compressor........................Up in the ceiling if the cold air produced can get up into the 'intake' of the unit, it will sense cold air quickly, and shut off, and turn back on quickly,,,,,,,,,this is called short cycling............
Sorry, that makes no sense to me

Prevent Short-Cycling Of Your RV Air Conditioner

Stay cool.

When an air conditioner runs, the compressor builds refrigerant pressure. If the compressor is then shut off, either manually or by satisfying thermostat demand, it must stay off for some period of time, usually 3-4 minutes, to allow pressure in the system to equalize before it can be safely restarted. Trying to restart the air conditioner compressor before pressure equalizes is known as "short-cycling". If an air conditioner is "short-cycled" the results may be; 1) tripped air conditioner circuit breaker; 2) generator shut down on overload; or 3) tripped air conditioner thermal overload. The air conditioner thermal overload will reset itself after the compressor cools. It cannot be reset manually.

Some, but not all, RV air conditioner thermostats have built-in time delays to prevent short-cycling. Short-cycling occurs in some RVs when the thermostat is mounted so that cold air blows directly on it. If this happens, the thermostat shuts the compressor off before the cabin has cooled, but quickly warms back up and signals the compressor to restart before refrigerant pressure equalizes. In this case, the flow of air from the air conditioner should be directed away from the thermostat, or the thermostat should be relocated. Short-cycling can be prevented by always being sure the air conditioner rests for 3-4 minutes after the compressor shuts off before trying to restart it. .

This is the 8th year and didn't happen until this year. I understand the condenser rebuilding pressure. Are you saying it is short cycling itself while running and therefore tripping the circuit breaker. Now what?
THe thermostat location shouldn't be the problem as it would have been when we bought the trailer 8 years ago.
We have waited several minutes before resetting the breakers and turning on the ac but quickly trips the breakers within minutes. We are not getting any answers to solve the problem yet
I am not getting a reply to me latest reply. We don't seem to be getting anywhere. We are rv owners not mechanics and need to know what is wrong and what to do.
Its not that simple,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you need to be able to 'troubleshoot' the unit,,,,,,,if you are not able to do that and give me the information, than I cannot be of any assistance to you, this is the reality.......................I wish I could say, change this, change that, push this button ect...................................If anyone did they wouldnt know what they are talking about...................................so I will opt out, and let another expert help you.......thanks
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

If you have a multimeter I can help you track this down. They can be found at most automotive or hardware stores for about $15 to $35 for a digital readout version. These are easy to use and come with instructions.

As a breaker continues to trip out from overload it weakens and then fails completely. That may come into play here. I new one isn't expensive and if you want to install that be sure you get a HACR type and it will be printed on there. Another thing that happens is the filter is clogged. Dirty filters make the unit work harder and increase the amperage draw. If the park is experiencing low AC voltage due to the heavy use that can cause this. A meter can tell you what the available voltage is. If this is already below 110 VAC it will be an issue, especially if you have the fridge on AC mode and the water heater on AC mode if you have that option. Try turning off all other AC loads when you start this up. The start capacitor and PRCR resister may be going bad. That is what assists the compressor to get started. Those come as a kit and are not expensive. If you can get back to me with the make and model of your A/C that would help me and I can get a manual for you in most cases so you have something to go by while we resolve this for you.

Please get back to me if you want to run a few tests here. This is the easiest way to track this down. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Randall,

We will be away from the computer until Tuesday afternoon but would like to follow thru with you.

Will try to find an ultimeter as you suggested. But hope either you or the instructions can tell us how to use it on the RV ac as is made for other uses too I;m sure.

How do we know if we need to replace the breaker and isn't that connected in some way to the converter. Can it be installed by the average rv owner?

Dirty filter isn't a problem. They are periodically cleaned.

What is VAC and AC mode?

I will try to find the AC make and model for you.

Can I get back to you in a day or two with the information thru this site online now?

This is more complicated than I thought and really want to fix this problem.

Thanks!

Just Bookmark this and you can come right back to it. "AC" is alternating current. 120 VAC is household current. "Volts Alternating Current" and get a digital readout version as these are easier to use. They come with instructions. I can assist you as well. R.J.