RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Dometic unit with a new relay board and thermostate..compressor…

Customer Question
I just installed a 59516.751...
I just installed a 59516.751 dometic unit with a new relay board and thermostate. I can hear the relay's working but no compressor or fan operation. I checked the a/c line voltage to the relay board and the board is receiving 120 volts checked low voltage dc power board is receiving 12 volts dc any help as this unit will not work
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
7/6/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

What was the relay board and thermostat numbers? You may not have compatible parts.
There are over a dozen variations of these. Get back to me and I can assist you. R.J.
all the parts have been checked by the manufacturer however the part nos are as follows: Unit 59516.751 dometic; (NNN) NNN-NNNN009 relay board and states the compatablity of the unit on the board and we have a dometic analog therostate and no heat strips and no heat pump straight a/c and a gas furnace
That should be good...........did you plug in the A/C to the control box? All wire colors matched up as per the diagram? This sounds like the cord to the A/C may not be plugged in. Check that and get back to me. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I am a certified automotive technician, yes i checked the umbilical cord from the a/c done the connection i tight and all colors match. Took the cover off the roof top unit the blue lead going straight to the compressor is receiving 120 volts, the fan is receiving 120 vlts, it appears to me as though the equipment should be running. we need to get technical to determine whether the unit or control board is not functioning circuits voltages are needed to test individual circuits and wire colors where possible does this help to give you more informationcan you help me with this
did you receive my questions?
Yes.............sorry for the delay as I was having a dinner break. The reading at the compressor would be more than 120 VAC. The start cap boosts it up to over 200 VAC.

Take the cover off the thermostat and see the wire marked "cool" and tell me if you have DC voltage there. That is what starts the compressor. Let me know what you have there.
R.J.
all terminals on all cap show 120 vac i checked the thermostate and the dc voltage is 10.2 milavolts at the cool terminal yellow and i checked the relay board at the yellow terminal at the stat wire and found 34 milavolts
That has to be over 8.3 VDC minimum...........you need to find out what the problem is there. Check the ground lead. Sounds like we are making progress. R.J.
I checked the ground and power to the circuit board all is good checked every thermostate wire for any 12 volt to the thermotat and found none sounds to me that i may have bought a bad circuit board. As far as the cap. are concerned, all i am seeing is line voltage 120 will that go up afte the start or should it be about 200 now could i be dealing with 2 problems
Yes, you could............what do you have at the lead on the thermostat that says "7.5" as this will be the hot lead to the thermostat. If you have good voltage there, then the t-stat may be defective. It has happened before. And yes, the voltage to the compressor goes up on starting, but we need to resolve this first. If you have at least 8.3 VDC to the lead marked "7.5" you can jump that to the "Hi-Fan" lead and the fan should come on. Let me know what you have here. And just for being sure on the ground I would run another wire you know has a good ground up to that lug as well. R.J.
ran my own ground just to be sure and i checked 7.5 terminal and am getting 4.5 volts rechecked the terminal it is up to 7.6 volts
Does it come on now or did you jump over to "Hi Fan" to try it?
no it doesn't come on and yes i jumped to hi fan and nothing
So there is another problem as well............do you get a usable voltage reading when you just turn the t-stat on to "Hi Cool" or "Hi Fan" without the jumper?
therm in cool, fan on high speed turn all the way down to freezing, using ground terminal on therm. for my meter 7.5 terminal reading 7.56, cool terminal 10 milovolts, furnace term. 17.2 volts, hi-fan terminal 130 milovolts, fan terminal 50 milovolts, just to be certain found 2 spare conductors in stat wire and used them for the 7.5 terminal and ground
Sounds like a bad thermostat............those readings should have been nearly the same.
Should be under warranty..........R.J.
I understand where u r coming from and it sounds logical to me, my concern is that even though with all of this hooked up i can still hear the relays pulling in with no fan or compressor operation
Were these new parts? It is strange. You would usually get one or the other if there is good AC voltage............unless the breaker is opening up on load. That happens when they go bad sometimes. The slightest load causes them to open up but they still show good on the meter. One reason they want you to test the feed to the top with a light bulb. Go HERE for a copy of the Dometic A/C Service Manual and look at the testing they show. You might try that just to prove this out. R.J.
Looks like I am on my way to the parts store will reply tomorrow to let you know how it goes, it has been very nice to talk to another professional
You are welcome.............let me know what you find. R.J.