RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Cougar: dometic..5th wheel..battery voltage..lp, cooling coil is hot…

I have a Dometic DM...
I have a Dometic DM 2652 in a 2009 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. The frig isnt cooling properly 60 degrees on lp or electricity, but the freezer is at 28 degrees. Unit is level, checked for battery voltage-ok, checked for land line voltage-ok, currently running unit on lp, cooling coil is hot to the touch. Do not smell any amonina, or see any traces of leakage, the glass fuses in the control board arent blown. wondering if I can bypass the thermistor in the frig at the control board. Havent checked the ohms yet? What I can read, it should have around 6 ohms? Frig has never been ran continuosly and has been well maintained. Been camping for years and this is the first frig problem I have ever had. Thank you.
7/6/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

It might be a thermister.............go HERE for the Service Manual for this fridge. RM and DM are the same. See that section on testing. It may be the cooling unit has a blockage or is losing the hydrogen charge. Might still be under warranty, so check. Please get back to me if you need more on this. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Unit is used about 7-9 times per year. We live is the South so it is hot in the summer, currently we are at the beach on an extended stay, so I really need to get this fixed. What made this happen now?
Things break at odd times........and if you haven't had the LP pressure checked at the regulator in the last year you might do that. Low LP pressure can do this as the flame is not hot enough. Take the cover off the burner area so you can see the flame. It should be "dancing" at the top and you can hear it making a "dull roar" as well. If this is a soft blue flame or has any yellow in it the pressure is most likely low. Any shop can adjust this for you or you can just replace the regulator. Dual tank model is about $50. Marshall Gas makes a good one. Some are not adjustable and theirs is. That might be the problem here. Also check and be sure that there is nothing that has fallen on top of the condenser area. Sometimes insulation does or I have even seen birds nests in there. And let me know if this installation is in a slide room as that gives a whole other set of problems to address. R.J.
Thank you for the nice bonus............much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Most of the time we can get you an immediate answer and save you a bunch of $$$ as well. Please come back again if you have another issue "down the road" and be safe! R.J.