RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

TRAVEL TRAILER SABRE 32rkds 32WITH 2 SLIDE OUTS..ADJUSTING..SEALING…

Customer Question
A TRAVEL TRAILER SABRE...
A TRAVEL TRAILER SABRE 32RKDS 32'WITH 2 SLIDE OUTS - I AM WONDERING HOW YOU GO ABOUT ADJUSTING THE SLIDE OUTS. THE LONGER SLIDE OUT IS NOT SEALING FLAT TO THE TRAILER BODY ON THE BOTTOM. TOP IS SNUG.

IS THERE ALSO SOMETHING WE CAN DO AS WE HAVE TO TRAVEL ON GRAVEL ROADS AND THE INSIDE OFF THE TRAILER IS FILLING WITH DUST FROM THE ROADS?

WE HAD HEARD ABOUT AN ITEM YOU PUT IN THE VENT AND IT IS SUPPOSE TO EQUALIZE THE AIR INSIDE THE TRAILER. DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS ITEM?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
7/4/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

You are probably talking about a fan that you can reverse to blow air into the coach to pressurize it. On low speed it keeps the air pressure from dropping in the coach in theory anyway. I need to know who made the slide hardware for this in order to get you to the correct manual on the adjustments. The name is XXXXX XXXXX the switch or on the motor or you should have a manual on this that came with the coach. Many are made now by Power Gear or Lippert, but there are about 8 or 9 companies who make these for the various manufacturers. Get back to me with this and I can assist you further. R.J.
palomino
I meant the maker of the slide hardware............not the coach. I suspect it is either a Power Gear slide or a Lippert unit. Any name on the switch or in the manual?

in our manual they list both names - there is no name on the switches either - we have 1 slide out that is approx 20' wide and 1 slide out that is about 8' (bedroom) -

the unit we are looking for the adjustment on is the largest unit.

Go HERE for a copy of the Lippert manual. Power Gear adjusts the same way. Take a look at the way the room mounts to the slide arms and you should be able to tell right away if this is the way yours adjusts. If not we will have to figure out who made these. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I know I asked about adjusting the slide out but do you normally have to adjust these slideouts. We were camping this weekend with our travel trailer and our friend has just purchased a motor home with a slide out and we both had dust/sand all over our campers. This is not a little dust this is 2/3 dust pan fulls. The dust is heavier in both corners/sides off the slideouts. We camped this long weekend and we moved each night to somewhere else and each move we had to dust out the campers before we settled for the night. In our camper we had to sweep out the floors and vacuum the bedroom and other carpet areas. Then you had to wash down all cabinets - counter tops - after they were swept off - all appliances such as stove and fridge were coated with this dust and the tv (on the wall) and the mirror had to be cleaned with glass cleaner. We actually ran out of water because off all the cleaning. We will be taking out our travel trailer again next weekend and we certainly are not looking forward to all the cleaning. We do not have paved roads in our area. We don't take our travel trailer on these roads by choice but these are the type of roads we have. The roads have class A gravel which is in very good condition but are very dusty. You will not see a car behind you because off this dust. Vehicles have to come out to the side and hope for you to see them to allow them to pass. Most campers will slow down to a crawl or stop.

That is excessive to be sure. Check to see if you can see light around the seals with the slide out closed from the inside. The room may not be centered in the opening correctly OR the seals may be damaged. If you don't have a reversable exhaust fan you can install one and have it blowing air into the coach as you travel and this pressurizes the coach and keeps the dust out. If you have a roof vent open as you travel this will suck dust right in like a vacuum as the air flowing over the vent acts like a venturi and creates a negative pressure inside the coach. Both MaxAir and Fantastic Fan make good units that would work well for this. Be sure you have a charge line hooked up for your batteries from the towing vehicle as this would run the batteries down if you don't. Please get back to me if you have more problems with this or need some more info on the slide seals. No light should be visible. R.J.