RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

norcold..Electric, 12 volt refrigeratorwhen..control panel light…

Customer Question
Model 9165 Norcold Gas, Electric...
Model 9165 Norcold Gas, Electric, 12 volt refrigerator
When we turn it on all the lights on the control panel light up and then flash on and off constantly - the refrigerator will not start up - the light in the refrigerator will light up when door is opened.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
6/13/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Go HERE for a copy of the Norcold Service Manual which covers this and several others as well. Please see the diagnostic section for yours on the flashing lights and let me know which one fits yours and we can discuss the problem and how to rectify this. As you will notice there are different patterns and combinations. Get back to me and we can go from there. Please let me know what model you were trying to use. R.J.

Model #9162- we were wrong the first time. We printed out the manual and checked the following:

The fuse in the board is not blown - 13.8 amp volts supply coming into the board - it still is not working.

I figured it was just a simple mistake...............What is the light flashing pattern or did that go away?
All the lights flash - pause - flash - pause
See pages 11 and 12 of the manual. There are a number of things that it can be. Were you using this on AC mode or LP mode?

It won't work on any of the settings - it's on automatic - won't work on ac, lp or dc.

Unhook the power on both AC and DC sides and see if the board will reset. While it is unplugged go to the manual and do a test on the AC heating element. That is the pencil like unit that comes out of the flue area with two black wires and goes down to the control board. Take the leads off and take an ohms reading between the leads. The do each lead and a ground on the metal area back there............the flue will work. See the specs for what you want to read.....about 40 ohms and no reading on the test between the lead and the ground.............do both leads. What do you get. Leave it unplugged right now. R.J.

Between the two lead the reading is 38 ohms

The ground 0 reading

That is acceptable..............now plug it back in and hook up the 12 VDC leads and be sure the polarity is correct. See if the board reset. Put it on AC mode...........not automatic. See if you can get an AC voltage reading out of the two lugs on the board where the element attaches. R.J.
It will not go to AC mode - the ac, lp, battery and auto all light up and there is no voltage reading to the two lugs going to the heating element
I will have to put in a call to Norcold tomorrow and have them diagnose the board. There are no testers for them. I suspect this one is bad but can't say for sure. I will get back to you once I talk to them. R.J.
We need to know what the AC voltage and DC voltage is to the control board. Also do you have any fluorescent lighting on? And what brand of converter do you have? These are some areas that have caused erratic performance on the control board like you are having.
Once we rule out any other cause then we can safely say it is the board itself. I would go with a Dinosaur Electronics board if this turns out to be the problem. They are the gold standard in control boards and have an outstanding warranty should you ever need it. Get back to me with this and lets see where we are. R.J.

The DC is 12.6 and the AC is 113

Magnetek converter

No flourescent lighting at all

Those are in tolerance.............just wanted to be sure. Still waiting for a call back from Norcold Technical. My contact wasn't in when I called. He is out on the road much of the time doing training..........still hope I hear back this evening. I will get back to you. I tend to think the board has gone south, but want to be sure we have checked everything first. Just so I know..........what is the number on the control board. It will be 6 digits and start with a "6" I suspect. I know he will ask me that. R.J.

1078-152

618574

96508

Part number on the skamatics is - 618258D

The board should be the 618574 number. I don't find a board with the 618258D number.
Go HERE and see if this looks like yours.

If the number is XXXXX by the 5 amp fuse it is 618574

That would be it...........was that one in the photo like yours?

There's different colors but everything is positioned the same - the picture is upside down right.

Yes..............I just copied it out of a listing for one. O.K...........let me see what my friend at Norcold has to say. Best give me your serial number as well. R.J.

If this is the problem how to we go about ordering the part - we don't want to spend a fortune, we are selling the motor home and we do need the part as soon as possible.

Most dealers stock this and I would use the Dinosaur Electronics version as these are much better quality than the OEM boards and have an outstanding warranty. Sometimes the best price is on E-Bay. Let's see what we have here first. R.J.

Have you found out for sure that it is the board yet?

No call yet.............I will give him another try. I hope he isn't on vacation. If so, I can call the factory tomorrow. R.J.
If you can't get ahold of him can you call the factory today?
They are closed now. I have been out all day on a service call, but I had my phone with me so I would have known if he tried to call. Sorry for the delay..........I can call them first thing in the morning. R.J.
He just called me back and has been on the road.............he will check his manuals when he gets to his office later today..........he is in Oregon and will call me. I will get back to you as soon as he does. R.J.
He thinks it is the board as well............but go to page 31 and do the tests as outlined there.
He did suggest disconnecting the optical from the board and see what happens. Bad thing is no parts are available from Norcold. Dinosaur Electronics has some so that is the good thing. There used to be an upgrade kit for this which had a part number of 625386 but he thinks those are going to be HTF. Let me know how the testing goes...........R.J.
Is the optical board in front on the refrigerator

There is no voltage at the gas meter or the ignitator and it ohms out also unplugged the optical if that is the front of the refrigerator and stayed the same - what do you think it will cost for the board and can we order directly from Dinosaur Electronics and get it faster - we can put the board in.

You would only be looking for an ohms reading on the gas valve or the igniter lead. If those were in spec then it is most likely the board. The options are get a new Dinosaur board or have them repair yours. I don't know what that would cost or how long it takes. You would have to call them and ask for Chad or Guy. Go HERE for the Dinosaur site. Find your board and it shows the corresponding part they sell. I don't think they sell direct sales. Lots of places to buy this. E-Bay motors and many retail outlets. Just Google the board and number and you will have lots of choices and it pays to shop around as this will vary.
My contact at Norcold said Dinosaur is or will have an optical shortly as well. There are lots of these out there and now that there are no kits from Norcold it opens up this market.
Please let me know how this turns out...........we have enough here for a whole "book"
now. Smile R.J.
We put the board in the refrigerator works on electric but won't on gas - the pilot does not kick in.
Is the LP turned on at the valve in back of the fridge? Does it spark and just not fire? It might be just a lack of LP in the line if you haven't used that mode in some time. Check the on/off valve and then check the leads on the gas valve. Did you get the Dinosaur Board and follow the instructions on the jumper location? Double check your hookup and these other things and get back to me. Good that the optical was o.k. or did you get the whole kit? R.J.
There is no voltage going to the gas valve and there is no voltage to the ignitor - this all worked before the board went out - yes the jumper is on the board 61, 85, 74 - yes we did get the whole board and the gas valve is on and it works on electric. When we disconnect electric the AC and LP flash
With a new board I don't understand this unless it is a problem with the optical and not turning on that portion of the board. I would give Dinosaur a call and talk to Chad or Gus and have them give you some insight on this. Let me know how that goes. R.j.
There is power to the ignitor - the ignitor is working - the gas valve is not working - the wires are connected right - no voltage to the gas valve
Check the connections again...........be sure you have the gas valve leads on the correct pins. See HERE and tell me if yours is just like this one. Easy to get these wrong.........the 12 VDC negative feed is far right, Gas valve ground next to it and then the Gas Valve positive feed on the "GV" feed. If those are correct then you need to give Chad or Gus a call. Possible to have a bad board, but I have never seen that on theirs. R.J.
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

We called Dinosaur they are sending a replacement board - will get back to you

What a trial and test of your patience! That is a first. I have never had a bad board from them. One good thing..........they will warranty a board if you smash it up with a hammer.
When they say "unconditional" they mean it! I have had them warranty boards that are out of warranty and have no warranty card. Good people! Hope this gets you going...........and I am sure you do as well. R.J.
Hey............what a nice surprise! I take it the new board worked and you now have a working fridge? Great...........and I guess it shows anyone's product can have a flaw once in awhile. Thanks for the nice bonus..........much appreciated! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. R.J.