RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

dometic 15,000 btu Air conditioner with a heat pump ...vents…

Customer Question
We have a Dometic 15,000...
We have a Dometic 15,000 BTU Air conditioner with a heat pump . All of a sudden it has started producing an odor through the vents that smells like mold or ice that has been in the freezer too long and has that funny smell like garlicky mold. I am afraid it is not safe health wise to be breathing this. We also have a 13,00 BTU in bedroom that is not producing this odor. We have removed the shroud and did not find any mold or wet areas. We removed the cover on the inside of the trailer and did not find any mold there either. It does produce cold air and the compressor is working well.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
6/4/2011
RV Mechanic: Michael Reush, RV Technician replied 11 years ago
Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer, I will quickly, and methodicly work through your repair needs.......Thank you.........Michael does the unit have 'central air' with ducting throughout the ceiling?
yes
there is really nothing in the ac itself to do this,,,,,,,,,I'm thinking a rodent or like creature, bird or something got into the ducting or the ac itself,,,,,,,,,,,,if its in the upper roof structure there is no air flow from outside to inside, if its in the evaporator area or the ducting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it would....................... take the ceiling panel off at the bottom of the unit, and this will give you access to it.......remove the alum duct crossint the area, and use a flashlight to see.......Michael
This answer is not acceptable. The other air conditioner is vented through the exact same ducts. Both airs are ducted through the same ducts. It does not smell like something dead. When the 13,000 BTU unit is running there is no odor coming from the vents. Could it be a freon leak. what does freon smell like.
freon has no smell......................................Michael,,,,,,,,,, good luck with your quest
thank you for your reply. It does not solve my problem however. I was expecting a more expertise explanation. you really have not given me an answer that would solve this problem. thank you for your timewe have already taken all that apart. there was nothing there
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

The usual cause is either some kind of dust or other material that has gotten into the fins and has gotten wet from the condensation and is now emitting a smell OR more rarely this can be from a leak from the outside and the standing water in the evaporator tray is coming into the unit. The "fix" is take the unit off and have it chemically washed out and the sealing checked. About 2.5 hours labor in most places...........depending on the equipment they have. There are special cleaners for this. Part of what an A/C unit does it take the moisture out of the air. If that mixes with any dust or pollens or other material in the air that accumulates on the fins it makes "mud" and can emit a smell as you describe. Keeping the air filters as clean as possible is a big help, but it can depend on what kind of environment you have been in. Dust in the air can contain any number of things that can get "moldy" when damp. Hope that helps............please get back to me if you need more on this. Follow up questions are included in our fee. R.J.