RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

fuse will blow..hwh hydraulic system...solonoid and it went..retracted…

Customer Question
The living room slide will...
The living room slide will not go out, when I try to extend it the fuse will blow. It is a hwh hydraulic system. We had this problem after before and were able to tap on the solonoid and it went out but when we retracted the slide it would not extend. I have not tried the solonoid again
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2011
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is Randall and perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

Is this the main power fuse to the pump and solenoids?
It is the 15 amp inline fuse that blows
Do you have more than one slide? Do you have a manual on this system or not?
I have 2 slides Bedroom and Living Room,and I have the manual that came with the unit that has the schematic of the solonoids and the wiring, there is a 20 amp fuse in the box under the refrigerator for the living room slide and that fuse is ok.
The first thing to do when any of these things happen is to check the batteries and cables. Low voltage or reserve capacity in the batteries or dirty cables will raise the amperage draw and that adds to the temperature in the circuits and blows fuses. If you haven't had the batteries tested in the last year I would do that. Are you plugged into shore power or not when you do this?
I am plugged into shore power and have the engine running to help with the hydraulics
Do you have a multimeter so you can take run some tests?
No but could buy one if necessary. one other thing the pump runs when I try the slide but it appears the solonoid is not operating properly to allow the fluid to circulate which immediately blows the fuse, is this possible
Yes...........but, there are other things as well that can cause this. Go HERE for a copy of the Service Manual for this system. I would print out a copy as there is a bunch of great information in there or at least Bookmark this so you can come back to it. Due to the complexity of this and not wanting to have you tear your hair out..........I recommend you give HWH a call and let them guide you in some testing steps ONCE you have the manual and multimeter. They are quite good at this. Please let me know how this turns out. R.J.
I guess what puzzles me is that when operating the bedroom slide we have no problem, it is only with the livingroom slide. and by tapping on the extend solonoid the slide worked,
That may indicate a bad solenoid............and one that has got in intermittent short. Intermittent problems are the hardest to track down. Chances are this isn't serious but they can guide you in this and the replacement part and installation. I generally don't get into much HWH diagnosis and repair because they have an extensive technical staff who can narrow this down quickly. R.J.